Customised Milestones (Flavour Objects) Kit

Thanks! :) Could make good use of that. From your files I also figured how to adapt the "tweak" to the poster files, something (command post signs) I also needed for my WIP missions.

You must possess a sharp brain as well as some hexadecimal knowledge to work that out - So Bravo!!

I have some even more impressive tweaks that I'm working on at the moment and I hope to release by the wkd so please do watch this space!

I forget to mention in my mod explanation, there exists a small caveat with using these signs which is critical; whatever files you use to build your map must be included as a package with the finished map file. The users then drops this into their z mod folder. In this sense it is no different from mod-tagging where you must include any modded files with the map. However, in this case, unlike mod-tagged material, if these modded additional signs are placed on a map but the files not transferred to the user, the map will crash.

To reiterate; it's not any different to how mod-tagging works.

You must possess a sharp brain as well as some hexadecimal knowledge to work that out - So Bravo!!
I have some even more impressive tweaks that I'm working on at the moment and I hope to release by the wkd so please do watch this space!

Yup, hex editing did it. Just one byte to match with the connected bitmap number. :) Too bad, alpha channels don´t work here. Would have liked the posters to be somewhat smaller, but I don´t want to complain. Looking forward to what you pull out of the hat! :)

I forget to mention in my mod explanation, there exists a small caveat with using these signs which is critical; whatever files you use to build your map must be included as a package with the finished map file. The users then drops this into their z mod folder. In this sense it is no different from mod-tagging where you must include any modded files with the map. However, in this case, unlike mod-tagged material, if these modded additional signs are placed on a map but the files not transferred to the user, the map will crash.

To reiterate; it's not any different to how mod-tagging works.

Thanks, good to know! :)

It´s quite interesting to see, what actually can be made a flavor object in the game. Wished one can add more tree variations with the same methods, but so far I can´t get it to work. I´d attempted to add a "treeF" by "hacking" and renaming the tree2.mdr file to tree6.mdr, a similar procedure like it works for flavor objects, but the game won´t recognice the "new" tree. Now I just modded tree2 to be another coniferous type, by use of tree5 bitmaps, which serves the purpose. Back to flavor objects, ... I successfully got a concrete pillbox beeing added as new doodad in "roadside objects" (just as example. Would make more sense to add this to other flavors), which opens possibilities for some unique flavors, as long as these are compatible game files (*.mdr). Since pillboxes work this way (while not actually beeing usable as "pillbox" ), I´d assume other vehicles can be inserted as flavor objects as well, then beeing "neutral" objects and not applicable to FOW. Interesting affair...B)

It´s quite interesting to see, what actually can be made a flavor object in the game. Wished one can add more tree variations with the same methods, but so far I can´t get it to work. I´d attempted to add a "treeF" by "hacking" and renaming the tree2.mdr file to tree6.mdr, a similar procedure like it works for flavor objects, but the game won´t recognice the "new" tree. Now I just modded tree2 to be another coniferous type, by use of tree5 bitmaps, which serves the purpose. Back to flavor objects, ... I successfully got a concrete pillbox beeing added as new doodad in "roadside objects" (just as example. Would make more sense to add this to other flavors), which opens possibilities for some unique flavors, as long as these are compatible game files (*.mdr). Since pillboxes work this way (while not actually beeing usable as "pillbox" ), I´d assume other vehicles can be inserted as flavor objects as well, then beeing "neutral" objects and not applicable to FOW. Interesting affair...B)

I think you're on the scent and exactly what I identified before working on the milestones. As I stated in my earlier post, I do have some excellent further ideas with the flavours that I shall upload soon enough. Unfortunately trying to get the artwork done for some ideas whilst continuing the experiments with the .mdr and the hexadecimal code for others is a multi-task and impacts on my limited time to work on these matters. Then there's the two huge maps that I'm currently creating and the Black Sea weapon icons that is almost finished...

In short a collaboration of findings are welcome Rockin and may be the only way to maximise the potential that lies in these ideas.

I have since played around with the shockforce vehicles that Kheine introduced to BS (see his thread on this if you haven't already) because the modern maps are badly in need of more variety (colour) of vehicles IMO. Without them urban maps look bereft of a greater depth of realism. Nevertheless, my experiments in this area have not yielded much fruit as yet.

Another thing I thought could be addressed for introducing lots of flavour objects (filling up all the available slots) was to rearrange them better (object names) so that there is more space available to coordinate newly created flavours in the editor. I'm kind of figuring, following a quick examination of the strings .txt, that they are hard coded. 

I should have mentioned if you hadn't already guessed that my inspiration for this came from the cross fertilisation of flavour objects between the various theatres. So for example a Community member, sometime ago, posted various RT flavours for use in BN - since the coding is identical.

Go check that out of you haven't already, there's a lot of flavours already available that are nice additions to BN.

I should have mentioned if you hadn't already guessed that my inspiration for this came from the cross fertilisation of flavour objects between the various theatres. So for example a Community member, sometime ago, posted various RT flavours for use in BN - since the coding is identical.

Go check that out of you haven't already, there's a lot of flavours already available that are nice additions to BN.

Yup, that porting over flavor objects from CMRT to CMBN was my inspiration as well, although I hadn´t to this point tried to figure myself how to do that. But that changed with my needs for special stuff in my self made missions. Basically I got the grasp now and know how to introduce new stuff, edit the *.mdr files, so that different, dedicated BMPs can be used and such.

I quickly made a haystack4 object from a PzIV late mdr, by just file renaming. Bitmap file allocation obviously works by the info buried in the mdr, so no further tweaks were necessary here. Things get obviously more laborous, when one attempts to make a burned out wreck of it, i.e

I introduced a woodpile4 object by renaming one of the fence mdr´s.

I introduced a crate7 object, by renaming one of the new ammo dump mdr´s.

I made a company HQ post sign, by copy/editing one the poster mdr´s.

That´s more of the the simple stuff off course, but indicates general possibilities.

Flavor objects cast and receive shadows and apply to shaders. Beside that, they work as default flavor objects, which mean, they basically do not interfere with the TacAI´s pathfinding and neither provide cover, nor conceilment to anybody. If one goes over the top with flavors, they´ll likely make a strain on the GPU and CPU I guess. So far so good.

Some worthwhile and interesting experiments that you've carried out there RockingHarry.

I was particularly enthused by the HQ sign you created. This is very much the sort of thing I'm hoping to create as a set of flavours for BN, only I'm going to have to create the artwork for the entire set from what has inspired me in modelling and various ww2 dioramas.

I've been deliberating on what specifically I might include in such a set - I'm limited to 8 different designs. For this reason I thought about creating the textures as photoshop/paintshop (.psd) multiple layer files so that map makers can "drop over" whatever design they want for that particular model, thus providing much broader choice particular to the scenario in mind. My reservation in following this idea is that most members of the community probably don't even have these software programs and moreover many others wouldn't be able to see the merits in this idea, thus few will actually take advantage of it.

I'd be interested to know what scenario your map design centered on. Are you thinking about putting in your own artistic efforts to textures on signs and/or posters? If so do you have possession of a reasonable art programme and are you any good at producing textures?  

Some worthwhile and interesting experiments that you've carried out there RockingHarry.

I was particularly enthused by the HQ sign you created. This is very much the sort of thing I'm hoping to create as a set of flavours for BN, only I'm going to have to create the artwork for the entire set from what has inspired me in modelling and various ww2 dioramas.

I've been deliberating on what specifically I might include in such a set - I'm limited to 8 different designs. For this reason I thought about creating the textures as photoshop/paintshop (.psd) multiple layer files so that map makers can "drop over" whatever design they want for that particular model, thus providing much broader choice particular to the scenario in mind. My reservation in following this idea is that most members of the community probably don't even have these software programs and moreover many others wouldn't be able to see the merits in this idea, thus few will actually take advantage of it.

I'd be interested to know what scenario your map design centered on. Are you thinking about putting in your own artistic efforts to textures on signs and/or posters? If so do you have possession of a reasonable art programme and are you any good at producing textures?  

Basically I´d like to derive from this sort of signs: http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=21039888728&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2Fwehrmacht%252Cwwii%2FTimeline%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%26textinput%3Dwehrmacht%252Cwwii%26photo_type%3D250%26method%3DGET%26noform%3Dt%26sort%3DDate%2520Taken%252C%2520new%2520first%23pic21039888728&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/67229223@N05/21039888728

From my latest research I´m about to work over my last attempt, which was just of mediocre result. I´ll possibly combine a poster with a milestone sign if it works out. Two flavors put too close to each other mostly cancels one of them out, after reload in 3D map editor, or starting the battle from my experience.

The WIP mission revolves around a US AIP driven (semi historical) attack on the Siegfried line fortifications in September 1944. With regard to posters/sign posts, I just needed a Company HQ sign, near the actual location of the command post. 2-3 milestone signs would also be in order, as well as a place-name sign, but that´s of secondary importance right now, as the map is just about 80-90% finish state. Oh...and I tweaked a number of ground tiles, as well as fences, parts of independent buildings and the shader file. I fear when the mission is ready to be published, players need to download about 60-70MB of mod files, to get all of the eye candy (..or the map not looking crap without the mods). :wacko:

I do the edits with my vintage, but still usefull PS 7 and occasionally old PSP 9, which is just sufficient for my needs, as well as (mediocre) skills. I do some modding only, if I can´t find the needed stuff elsewhere, resulting in something like this i.e:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=1046

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=2148

So if possible, I try to keep avoid modding and spend this time rather in map making and AI scripting.

I like your idea with distributing PSD layer files, which should help a number of mission makers to get the needed stuff more quickly. Otherwise, if a particular BMP does not use an alpha layer, it´s then probably more useful to provide just the 24 Bit files, so that any graphics application can potentially be used to make the unique edits. Not all the apps can load/save 32 Bit BMP files properly.