Breakout from the Neerpelt bridgehead. (how to solve?)

Please teach me how to beat 4th mission of "THE ROAD TO NIJMEGEN" campaign.

300 meters of open terrain guarded by dug in machine guns and pak40s surrounded by marsh that insta-tracks any vehicles that try to wade through it.

I thought I would shell/bombard one side until I can clear it with infantry but no matter how many direct hits I can't seem to injure anyone inside.

The picture I uploaded is from an airstrike that didn't kill or wound anyone. This was after a previous strafing run and a maximum barrage from 25lbers.

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed too much and I appreciate any help guys.

post-73974-0-34729900-1437789027_thumb.j

Edited by thefiend

Hi there, just finished the mission a few days ago.

My infantry led the way, identifying the enemy lines of resistance. If they spotted the enemy AT/AA guns, i used my 2inch mortars to lob smoke just in front of the AT/AA guns, if they didn't spot them (well that's where the scout cars come in handy).

After smoking the AT's i advanced my tanks, in LOS/LOF. And they supressed the enemy line, i used target light (with 4-5k of ammo, they can do this all day long) and used only a few HE rounds to knock out MG's and AT's.

Once supressed, i assaulted the line of resistance with a infantry platoon. Most important things to remember, to have lots of supressing fire, like 5 tanks plus scout cars on target light. And smoke is your best friend, in screening your movements, as well as isolating AT and AA assets.

Basically Fire and Maneuver, and repeat this.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Smoke, smoke, smoke. A blinded ATG/MG nest is totally ineffective. Most artillery is good for suppression, not destruction. But the 25lber's should have a lot of smoke. Use it. Get some infantry moving, blind the enemy, flank 'em, then kill them.

Hell no!  It was not to long ago my guys got hit with a crater the size of a swimming pool in the back yards of a village and they lost a nearly a dozen guys in four or five buildings around the crater plus two half tracks and a jeep and the bomb hit nothing but empty space.  It brought down on of the buildings totally.

Hell no!  It was not to long ago my guys got hit with a crater the size of a swimming pool in the back yards of a village and they lost a nearly a dozen guys in four or five buildings around the crater plus two half tracks and a jeep and the bomb hit nothing but empty space.  It brought down on of the buildings totally.

Maybe bomb damage has been tweaked in later patches. I'm still on 2.12 and haven't seen anything like that. In my games, unless the bomb lands almost exactly on top of the unit, survival chances are very high. I think I even once saw a guy running in the open about 15 metres from impact, and he didn't take any notice of it.

Maybe it's just flukes, but I've come to despise aircraft bombs as anything other than fireworks, basically a half-baked feature... but your mileage may vary.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Just came across this somewhat terrifying picture showing the extent of damage from bombing... the photo is taken from the air, and you can see crops have been flattened by the blast for many times the diametre of the actual crater.

Bomb blast effects have been severely turned down in the game, but I understand this may be for gameplay reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Goodwood#/media/File:Cagny.jpg