ADDITIONS TO PATCH PLEASE - JAV RARITY increase and general Points cost changes

GAZ NZ

Yes. Stagler not only forgot about the standard for inclusion, but he forgot what was actually said about the parade. To paraphrase people like you and me, the reaction was:

"Parade, shamade. Big whooooopty do!"

In other words, being in the parade or not means absolutely nothing in terms important to game inclusion decision making. It could have been in last year's parade for all I care.

Steve

Hang on a second. Who is talking about Armata or parades here? I think you might have this thread mixed up with the other one.

Everyone is talking about Afganit APS. I even said it wouldn't get put on old platforms.

I think someone's generalisation of the capability Russian economy is wrong, I said as such. The point of my question marks is that nobody will know what will happen tomorrow, never mind forecasting to 2017.

Chill your beans.

Edited by Stagler

The Marines still have Javelin operators as a separate MOS, but the Army has this little simulator thing that they use to get guys spun on Javelin. It really doesn't require much skill; the hardest thing is remembering to make sure the seeker is cooled and that you can only get a lock in NFOV.

I used that simulator when it was still in late "beta" testing. Charles and I were given about 2 minutes of instruction and then had at it. There was a bunch of colonels and most of the development team standing behind us watching. Hey, no pressure :D We each did very, very well. In fact, I managed to blind guide a hit behind a hill using direct attack mode. The brass was impressed with my shooting :D

Actually, I suppose the hardest thing is actually hauling that big mother around...

I have to say that I was a little fatigued after sitting in the cross legged shooting position for the time that it took to take out all the targets. But then again, in real life a gunner doesn't sit there and pop a half dozen enemy vehicles without getting up and running a bit between shots.

I understand your point Steve, but calling the armata a "fantasy" vehicle is a bit too extreme in my opinion.

As panzersaurkrautwerfer correctly stated, it is all relative. "Fantasy" in terms of being applicable to the game's timeframe. Kinda like the British Chieftain and IS-3 were "fantasy" vehicles for WW2 every bit as much as the E-100. Did the Chieftain enter production and service soon after WW2? Did the IS-3? Yes and yes. Did the E-100 and Maus? No and no. But in terms of WW2 service it is no, no, no, and no in that order :D

Is two years really such a short time from prototype to introduction? In peace maybe, but WW2 for example saw vehicles go from the drawing board to the front line in much less than that. It is just a question of how big the demand for the new tank is. But lets just wait for 2017 and see whether or not the Armata has been introduced by then. Maybe write to Putin that he should hurry up the Armata development so it wont enter service too late for the last CMBS module ;).

Horribly short time, as follow up comments have indicated. Is it possible? Theoretically, yes. Is it probable? No. And past Soviet/Russian timelines don't contradict reason for doubt.

Hang on a second. Who is talking about Armata or parades here? I think you might have this thread mixed up with the other one.

Yeah, I might have been responding to something you said in the other thread. Sorry 'bout that.

I think someone's generalisation of the capability Russian economy is wrong, I said as such. The point of my question marks is that nobody will know what will happen tomorrow, never mind forecasting to 2017.

Russia's economy has major problems, many of which date back to Soviet times. Some things have been fixed by Putin in the last dozen years, but more hasn't been. The fundamentals haven't been for sure.

The reason why Russia had all the cash to invest in modernizing its forces is because oil was at a price which was higher than what the Russian budget needed for its basics. Now it is far below. The last Russian revised budget I remember seeing, which applied a significant cut to everything but defense, required oil to be in the $90 per barrel range just to balance itself. Nobody is forecasting prices to go back up to that level within a timeframe applicable to large scale production of the new vehicles.

So the question is... if Russia doesn't have enough income to pay its bills, by quite a bit, then how is it going to afford keeping people from rioting AND have its military spending goals unaffected?

While nobody can say where the Russian economy will be in two years with certainty, I don't see any credible reason to think that it will be anything other than struggling to make ends meet. That will have a negative impact on Russia's military spending. In fact, it appears to already have had such an effect.

Steve

Chieftain

Think maybe you meant Centurion?  Chieftain is like fevered dreams fantasy for 1944, Centurion is just the Comet all growed up.  

No. And past Soviet/Russian timelines don't contradict reason for doubt.

It's like that old cliche definition of insanity.  Nothing has changed about Soviet/Russian arms procurement.  The process isn't fixed, the economy isn't better etc, etc.  Expecting the Armata program (and Afganit, and Boomerang, and PAK-FA, and the MI-28 etc, etc, etc) to somehow work better than the T-95, Black Eagle, etc etc just because this time it's got an unmanned turret and is a whole family of vehicles! is pretty out there.  We've been down this road before and I'm sure we'll go down it again.