Armor Radios

Newbie question (I did search first). In a Quick Battle setup I noticed the following: In deploying a Soviet infantry company commander, two T-34-85's, and two SU-85's (all w/o a radio icon in the Special Equipment panel), a radio icon suddenly appears in the C2 panel when I place the company commander on one of the armor units. What's up?

TIA for any response.

Edited by SkipG

To clarify further, the armor units were individually selected and assigned to the infantry company. Could it be the armor always has radios (even w/o any indicator in the Special Equipment panel), but can only have a C2 link if there's a sufficiently senior commander to use it?

I forget and I am not really close to my computer right now but I don't think that vehicles get a special equipment panel.  Under their status panel (the wrench like thing next to the ammo listing) is there a radio listed?

When the Company CO team moves they will be out of radio contact. Once they stop radio contact will be reestablished. 

Yes, IanL, there is green radio status in the Damage panel whether or not the company commander is atop the tank. If the commander is off the tank, the C2 radio icon on both the tank and the commander disappear. The Special Equipment panel never shows a radio for either unit, whether or not the commander is riding. The tank's Special Equipment panel does show binocs, so I'd assume there'd be a radio icon, too, if the tank had one. 

Curiouser and curiouser. When my Mortar Battery HQ — which also doesn't have a radio — climbs aboard one of the tanks, the same thing happens as with the infantry company commander. What's also strange is the lower echelon 1st Mortar Platoon HQ does have a radio while his immediate superior doesn't.

Methinks this is not the way it's supposed to work.

Edited by SkipG

Newbie question (I did search first). In a Quick Battle setup I noticed the following: In deploying a Soviet infantry company commander, two T-34-85's, and two SU-85's (all w/o a radio icon in the Special Equipment panel), a radio icon suddenly appears in the C2 panel when I place the company commander on one of the armor units. What's up?

CMRedThunder2014-07-2619-40-34-93_zps5c6

The infantry are using the tank's radio.  This is one of the cool things about tank riders.  Not only can they ride on the tank but they can use the tank's radio for C2.  Below is part of an old post of mine when I discovered this fact.    

In a PBEM quick battle I had a three man scout team that was assigned to a tank platoon.  The scout team was in a wooded area and positioned on top of one of the tanks.  The platoon HQ tank was positioned about 70 meters away in the same woods.  The scout team and its tank had no visual or voice contact with the HQ tank.  However they both had radio contact with the HQ tank. 

The scout team, was selected from specialty teams during the QB purchase phase and had no radio assigned to it.  The scout team was able to use the tanks radio to stay in C2.  I dismounted the scout team and positioned them next to the tank.  No more radio contact.  The scouts must be on the tank to use the tank’s radio for C2. 

Another interesting possibility is for the scout team to dismount, move 50 or so meters away from the tank, look out of the wood line, observe enemy activity or lack of activity, run back to the tank and report up the chain of command. 

Hope this helped.

Thanks very much for the responses. This game is really cool!

MOS:96B2P, I notice your C2 icon is an antenna vice a radio. Is this a mod?

The ony thing as good as this game are the folks here at the forum.

Cheers all

<snip>

MOS:96B2P, I notice your C2 icon is an antenna vice a radio. Is this a mod?

<snip>

Yes it is a mod.  It is Juju's Red Thunder UI v1  (User Interface) that I found at GreenAsJade's site.  All kinds of cool mods at GreenAsJade's site and the repository.

CMRedThunder2014-07-2619-40-34-93_zps5c6

The infantry are using the tank's radio.  This is one of the cool things about tank riders.  Not only can they ride on the tank but they can use the tank's radio for C2.  Below is part of an old post of mine when I discovered this fact.    

In a PBEM quick battle I had a three man scout team that was assigned to a tank platoon.  The scout team was in a wooded area and positioned on top of one of the tanks.  The platoon HQ tank was positioned about 70 meters away in the same woods.  The scout team and its tank had no visual or voice contact with the HQ tank.  However they both had radio contact with the HQ tank. 

The scout team, was selected from specialty teams during the QB purchase phase and had no radio assigned to it.  The scout team was able to use the tanks radio to stay in C2.  I dismounted the scout team and positioned them next to the tank.  No more radio contact.  The scouts must be on the tank to use the tank’s radio for C2. 

Another interesting possibility is for the scout team to dismount, move 50 or so meters away from the tank, look out of the wood line, observe enemy activity or lack of activity, run back to the tank and report up the chain of command. 

Hope this helped.

For some reason I can't give a +Rep on this post, it won't let me. So I wanted to thank you for it, this is really useful info. :)