Why does Search show no results for "T-64" and "t-64" but does, awfully, for...?

Was trying to find an earlier post in which I listed a CIA study on the T-64, now declassified, in the FOIA Reading Room. When I searched under the above terms in the Forums, I got zero results. Why? A search under "T-64 tank" and "t-64 tank" returned the very thread to which I'd just posted, but nothing else. Since I know perfectly well there've been quite a few mentions of the T-64 on both the CMSF and CMBS Forums, this has to be a mistake, nor should the response be affected by the dread minimum character count, there being four. Why is the Search not, well, searching properly? If it's not broken, it sure acts that way.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Click on the settings icon next to the search box.  It looks like a wheel or sprocket.

This will take you to the advanced search page where you can enter in appropriate parameters.  Make sure you select the correct forum, author, key words, dates, etc...

FWIW, here it is:

Krasnoarmeyets,

I'm not quite sure what part of the information I posted was interesting to you, but in answer to your T-64 awareness question, I believe I first started seeing usable tech intel on the T-64 in the early 1980s. This was in  a DIA S/NOFORN/WNINTEL (SECRET/NO FOREIGN/WARNING: INTELLIGENCE SOURCES & METHODS INVOLVED) publication. I never saw a CIA study of this tank, but have since seen one in the CIA FOIA Reading room, where I commend this declassified marvel to your attention. Regrettably, the FOIA Reading Room has been made pretty user hostile recently, but there was, and may still be, a CIA study specifically on the T-64, a study I never saw in my entire 11+ years as a Soviet Threat Analyst.

http://www.foia.cia.gov/sites/default/files/DOC_0000624298.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

Chops,

Appreciate suggestion.

Vanir Ausf B,

Wonder whether there's a fix for the problem that I believe you've identified.

ikalugin,

That is correct. It is an overall look at the armor/antiarmor situation vis-vis-the Russian tanks.  I'm trying to find the actual T-64 study, but have so far have found nothing. Worse, the CIA T-64 study was in a post I wrote.

(goes away for a bit and, after some online digging, returns)

Thankfully, though, using the Google site search tool, I was able to find that post and after a certain amount of hair pulling, go back to the CIA FOIA Reading Room and emerge triumphant. The study is redacted S/NOFORN/WNINTEL, but it's still grog gold. I give you The Soviet T-64B Tank: An Updated Assessment (U). 

http://www.foia.cia.gov/sites/default/files/document_conversions/89801/DOC_0000498140.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

ikalugin,

Most people have never seen such a document, let alone read one. It's a pity the image quality is so dreadful, but even so, it's somebody managed to photograph the interior of a T-64B  tank to such effect that all the gun control gear was identified, right down to the special conroller and switches for the AT-8/9K112 Kobra. Quite the intelligence coup for a tank which was solely in Russian hands back then.  Speaking of controllers, ATGM equipped tanks seem to have controllers very much like the one for the remarkable IT-1 Drakon, which is shown wiping out a static Panzer III while firing on the move. Rest assured, you can't do that with a ground based TOW, for the sights aren't stabilized.

I was happy to see that, despite the annoying redactions made in 1999 and yet restored, some key information survived, including the vs KE and vs HEAT numbers for the T-64 and T-64B, plus a description of the turret frontal armor scheme.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

You mean like US Army Major Nicholson who was shot peering into a GFSG tank shed and allowed to bleed out for an hour before he died? He was the last known US Cold War fatality. The link includes the formerly classified investigation of his death, which was a big deal and caused high level repercussions. maddeningly, the declassification was done in such a way that it's impossible to determine the original classification level from the cover, but I can see it was at least SECRET, because some of the paragraph classification markings are still semilegible.

Regards,

John Kettler