Up, Close and Personal - Fighting

That video is coool. Hey, Childress ? No one spoke about bayonet charges - as close combat consists much more. I mean / come on - at close quarters - as in - very close - a nice hit by the rifles stub to the enemy's face and then shooting him point blank is a much more enjoyable way to end a life. It may be minuscule.... But let's not forget those little missions , which you run into a patrol @ night. Why should you raise unwanted awareness to your cover... Speaking of Which,, in CM, can one approach the enemy VERY close without being spotted ?

"You storm and take a position by sheer physical force. Or you don't take it."

Ken would like this.

Close combat would be great, but It would have to be very abstracted. While I think that in the grand picture it might not impact to much I'd love to actually hear my pixeltruppen assaulting a house.

No one spoke about bayonet charges - as close combat consists much more. 

Borg: The (never defeated) Russian General Alexander Suvorov declared "The bullet is foolish, the bayonet wise". 18th and 19th century Russian officers preferred to use the bayonet charge instead of musket volley fire where possible given the low quality of their conscripts. However less than 1% of US Civil War casualties were determined a to be a result of a bayonet wound. And there was a great deal more hand-to-hand combat in that conflict than in WW2.

When confronted with superior numbers and cold steel modern soldiers tend to flee. Or their hands go up.

Edited by Childress

Looking back @ XMAS messages ? :)

Ok. So.. Do u think there is the will & the chance that bayonet /andor hand-to-hand can see its way to CMBN?

We've found a convivial home in this thread.  And we'll never leave. ;)

My personal preferences? A more comprehensive surrendering algorithm (tricky) and more persistent suppression effects across the board. Close combat animations? If they have time on their hands and nothing else to do.

We've found a convivial home in this thread.  And we'll never leave. ;)

My personal preferences? A more comprehensive surrendering algorithm (tricky) and more persistent suppression effects across the board. Close combat animations? If they have time on their hands and nothing else to do.

I agree. Accounts of hand to hand fighting in the war are usually vague, and probably exaggerated for dramatic effect. I'm not convinced it happened enough to be worth Total-War esque portrayals of mortal kombatants locked in melee. Nor am I convinced most men would actually go to fisticuffs with an enemy even if the opportunity arose, the fighting move of choice at that point being to throw one's arms up in the air and loudly roar "DON'T SHOOT". 

Better surrendering logic ftw. 

I agree. Accounts of hand to hand fighting in the war are usually vague, and probably exaggerated for dramatic effect. I'm not convinced it happened enough to be worth Total-War esque portrayals of mortal kombatants locked in melee. Nor am I convinced most men would actually go to fisticuffs with an enemy even if the opportunity arose, the fighting move of choice at that point being to throw one's arms up in the air and loudly roar "DON'T SHOOT". 

Better surrendering logic ftw. 

Yeah, I agree. Rather than the extensive modeling necessary to show a relatively rare event, I'd rather see the effort go into rounding up POWs and getting them to the rear. It was usually necessary to designate some number of men as guards to ensure that they got where they were supposed to go.

And as for this being needed in modern warfare, I would not write it out. Don't forget the thousands of EPWs that were taken during ODS.

Michael

Fighting words... Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-DiCaprio reads these forums.He has just challenged you to a duel. With sabers. You'll need a second. He's chosen Kettler.

Oh, really? 

Well, I choose....hell, I dunno. Anyone want to be my second?

Since I am the challenged, I get to choose the battleground.

CMBN 3.11. Small meeting engagement. Computer pick map, Village, Holland. Mixed VS Mixed, Germans VS USA. Standard rarity. September 1944, day, Hazy.

You choose if you want Krauts or Yanks.

Fun stuff, boys!  :-)

testa-a-testa :)goodluck..

Do you guys here ever organise 'tournaments' such as the 'fewgoodmen' etc  ? Or... i guess this should be kept strictly as a forum and threads.

Goodnight guys., its dark here. time for a quick battle and sleep.