AI not following commands

CavanJL

I bought the Combat Mission: Shock Force Marine Bundle, and I am getting extremely frustrated at the AI's inability to follow simple orders. I told one squad to assault a building, but the second they finish clearing the building, they exit and charge right into 2 MGs to assault a random building across the street. I can't even order two vehicles to move without one of them finding a way to collide with the next. Is there a mod or a setting to fix either of these issues?

I want to give this game a try, but I just can't play a strategy game where the path-finding is absolute ****, and the units blatantly disobey half of my orders.

I bought the Combat Mission: Shock Force Marine Bundle, and I am getting extremely frustrated at the AI's inability to follow simple orders. I told one squad to assault a building, but the second they finish clearing the building, they exit and charge right into 2 MGs to assault a random building across the street. I can't even order two vehicles to move without one of them finding a way to collide with the next. Is there a mod or a setting to fix either of these issues?

I want to give this game a try, but I just can't play a strategy game where the path-finding is absolute ****, and the units blatantly disobey half of my orders.

That shouldn't happen so its not the ai's fault, sounds like human error. Assaulting means the squad splits into two pieces, one stays back and covers while the other maneuvers. Once one fireteam reaches a certain spot they will begin covering and the fireteam behind will maneuver to there position. Unless they were being fired upon or you misjudged placing the assault/movement point there is no reason for the units to "assault a random building".

If a squad sustains enough fire or casualties if they don't get pinned they will attempt to find cover, so if that building you "assaulted" into killed some of them or they took a lot of fire, they will displace and attempt to take cover.

As for vehicles colliding with each other, give them pause commands so they aren't trying to move at the same time in the same spot, this is especially essential when moving in convoy formation. For example, Vehicle 1 (An abrams lets say for the hell of it) is leading the column, you give him a quick command up the road, behind him is a Bradley about 10 or 15 meters, give him a 5 or 10 second pause so he doesn't run straight into the abrams, repeat as necessary only increasing pause commands on subsequent vehicles.

Their are no mods to fix these "problems" it sounds like you are new so you haven't learned the finer points of it, but I hope what I explained helps you out a bit.

That shouldn't happen so its not the ai's fault, sounds like human error. Assaulting means the squad splits into two pieces, one stays back and covers while the other maneuvers. Once one fireteam reaches a certain spot they will begin covering and the fireteam behind will maneuver to there position. Unless they were being fired upon or you misjudged placing the assault/movement point there is no reason for the units to "assault a random building".

If a squad sustains enough fire or casualties if they don't get pinned they will attempt to find cover, so if that building you "assaulted" into killed some of them or they took a lot of fire, they will displace and attempt to take cover.

As for vehicles colliding with each other, give them pause commands so they aren't trying to move at the same time in the same spot, this is especially essential when moving in convoy formation. For example, Vehicle 1 (An abrams lets say for the hell of it) is leading the column, you give him a quick command up the road, behind him is a Bradley about 10 or 15 meters, give him a 5 or 10 second pause so he doesn't run straight into the Abrams, repeat as necessary only increasing pause commands on subsequent vehicles.

Their are no mods to fix these "problems" it sounds like you are new so you haven't learned the finer points of it, but I hope what I explained helps you out a bit.

The building I assaulted did not have enemies inside of it. Regardless, you're most likely correct in that it was Human error. I usually don't play strategy games, so I got frustrated when I told each unit a specific order, and did not understand why the units did not follow the orders. I'll probably watch a few youtube videos before I try the game again.

The building I assaulted did not have enemies inside of it. Regardless, you're most likely correct in that it was Human error. I usually don't play strategy games, so I got frustrated when I told each unit a specific order, and did not understand why the units did not follow the orders. I'll probably watch a few youtube videos before I try the game again.

in CM you kind of have to look at your orders as telling your men your intent. Once you hit the big red button all bets are off as to what they will actually be able to do as they react to the enemy. I have seen them

1. do exactly what I told them to and it succeed brilliantly...okay that one is rare

2. do exactly what I told them and get butchered mercilessly...more often than i care to admit

3. react to events and do something else...and get butchered mercilessly

4. react to events and do something else and succeed brilliantly

5. react to events and hunker down so not much actually happens, but now I have more intel.

That for me is what makes this game. The variability and uncertainty is what I find so immersive and brilliant. and it happens all the way down to the individual pixeltruppen level.

This is a description I recently sent someone else describing a very minor incident in a scenario I was testing. It had no real impact on the larger battle, but was so fascinating it was the first thing I watched on replay each turn.

Tale of a firefight.

I have a scout pltn 2nd lt and the XO for the HQ support team both with AT 4s in an OP. At one point two BMPs rollup and destroy one of their vehicles. Both guys fire destroying both BMPs. The XO gets nailed by a tank so now the 2nd Lt is in the woods on his own. He gets into a firefight with some of the BMP crew, one of whom is trying to surrender. His ride armed with a 40 mm grenade launcher tries to assist, but the gunner gets hit.

Then two dismounts from the BMPs show up so now my 2nd Lt is fighting several guys and is running low on ammo. He runs out, so the driver of his ride grabs some more and dashes (while grenades are bouncing off nearby trees) over to his position and I hear the satisfying metallic click as he reloads.

Assistance is on the way if they can hold out. Eventually 4 more guys show up in two separate teams and after that a Stryker carrying two mg teams. The enemy force is eliminated.

The moment that 2nd Lt reload his weapon was so satisfying and then I thought. I am in this major battle with forces scattered over a couple kilometers and one guy loading a clip in his M4 has me jazzed... damn. This game just friggin rocks.

The wait for Black Sea is just killing me.

Yes, I know what you mean. I think I have myself under control and distracted by working in the editor........... and then sburke posts something about aircraft shot out of the sky with a crater on the map at the crash site........

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1573791&postcount=57

It is cruel and unusual punishment ......................... :rolleyes: