Stupid STUG AI behavior

Buttoned doesn't mean "never poke your head out".

It just means stay inside as much as possible, but pop out to fire the gun (on vehicles that have exterior guns).

You'll see the same behaviour on all vehicles with exterior guns.

What an absurd argument.

When i tell the tank/commander he should stay buttoned (cause its to dangerous to pop his head out) he will stay buttoned. (btw this was an improvement to CMBB/CMAK)

But on the other hand the very same commander (or the ladeschütze) wont follow this order and starts using his MG on the roof until there are only 2 men left inside the vehicle ?

Seriously ?

The logic is that the gunner pops up to use the MG only when it feels it must to protect itself. Otherwise it won't unbutton unless you instruct it to. We've had endless debates about this behavior in the past years and I think we generally arrive at "damned if we do, damned if we don't" because if we made the change the first time enemy infantry kills a fully buttoned StuG we're going to get demands to put it right back to the way it is now.

Steve

The logic is that the gunner pops up to use the MG only when it feels it must to protect itself. Otherwise it won't unbutton unless you instruct it to. We've had endless debates about this behavior in the past years and I think we generally arrive at "damned if we do, damned if we don't" because if we made the change the first time enemy infantry kills a fully buttoned StuG we're going to get demands to put it right back to the way it is now.

Steve

No its not the case, sorry to say that Steve.

I finished a scenario minutest ago where both Stugs (the only ones) rendered totally useless because both of them lost crew-members while attacking MG´s/infantry hundreds of meters away.

But MG´s are not a real threat to stugs or enemy infantry. They just do what they wont and, in this case, it kills the game for me. (stugs with only 2 members left are useless)

So there is no alternative right ?

What if you want to fire at infantry with the main gun? Using an armour cover arc would not work in that instance. I'm with the original poster. If I order an AFV to button up I would expect it to remain so for at least the full 60 seconds so that when the next PBEM cycle comes around I can decide to either keep it buttoned or unbutton if I feel any threat warrants it.

You take the risk and you accept the consequences.

Regards

KR