Brute Force 1939 for 2013

I was considering improving Brute Force 1939 this year. I wanted to see if there was any interest.

Changes

#1 map will go from 40/80 mile per hex scale to 20/40.

#2 the map will get more efficiect

#3 unit sizes will drop from army/corp to corp/division.

Here is a link to the latest BF1939 in which numdydar found a bug.

http://www.lambtechinc.com/BF1939.rar

this sounds like a great idea to me, be good if a few historical units were included with varying strengths but appreciate this may cause a little too much work.

I imagine tank and infanntry divisions would be amongst the mix, how about a further research catagory - Camaflague. The idea would be if researched the % chance that a tank unit would be seen as an inflantry unit (to reflect that you can hide tanks?). There would only be chance of camoflague if the enemy unit is not adjacent. THis would be much more plausable at division level since it would have possible to hide 200 or so tanks. modifers depending on terrain, research level, weather etc... just a thought

I have not played Brute force yet but the smaller scale is appealing. Unit density would increase and there would be a strategic/tactical hybrid result I am guessing. Historical divisions would be great. The Grossdeutschland Panzer Grenadiers, 1st US Infantry Division (The Big Red One), etc.

It will mainly be a corp level game. Divisions are extra units and not the mainstay.

USA ~90 divs

Germany ~300 divs

USSR ~500 divs

UK ~40 divs + all their other countries

China ~500 small divs

Japan ~200 divs

Thats a lot of units..... so it will mostly be corp with the Soviets and chinese at army level.

Western Allies, Germany, Japan ~3 divs per corp.

China/Russia ~6 divs per corp.

Italy will be interesting since they had smaller divisions in Africa and a lot of their divisions simply sucked and were under equiped.

Naval scale might be 2 capital ships per counter (down from 3 in BF1939)... I'd have to see how it fits

Air will fit with the naval model. so 200-300 planes per counter.

If China had 500 divisions my computer would explode !

To be honest I have not played Brute Force yet, as I mostly play against the AI and have always favored campaigns that the AI resolves their turn quickly.

What are these new AI routines? I think I remember reading Brute Force had multiple AI strategies too, or is that the routines?

I should have gotten around to playing it by now, but I found the AI was slow to finish turn 1 so I stopped before.

Brute Force has multiple strategies for the A.I. which mean multiple sets of scripts. That will be transfered too. The new defensive A.I. routines I made are basically improvements to the standard A.I. scripting I did in Brute Force. It will make the A.I. better.

Yes the A.I. take a long time, but its better than exactly knowing the Axis A.I. will 100% always go after Russia every game like other games of the same type.

When I play it I usually do something else also. I do have a 3.3Ghz duo-core PC with 2 screens though.

Hi Big Al -

Long time listener, first time caller. Good show with the Brute Force scenarios. I like the scale of the conflict, and I think moving to a smaller scale would be great!

One thing I did notice in relation to stock SC2 Gold was the relative slowness of research gains. Since there are a number of additional levels in BF compared to stock SC2 Gold (i.e. Infantry Warfare has 5 levels, compared to 2), do you plan to bump up the research rate when you revamp the scenarios?

I found another oddity in my game of BF. I had a Chinesse unit retreat into Hong Kong lol. This was in 1940 whwn Japan and the UK were not at war. Of course I cannot attack the unit.

I am not sure if this was a function of the BF modifications to the game or an underlying issue with the Gold version itself.

China issue is an engine issue.

As for the research question. The reason why its slow is due to the way the system is structured. If I did it faster everyone would be tech 5 by 1942. You might think to lower the max amounts. But then that creates another issue... min-maxxing. Inf/Arm/Air warfare are the top 3 stats. Any person in their right mind would max out infantry tech FAST and have their level 5 infantry crushing everyone on land. But the idea is they would focus on few stats and change the balance of the game.

Do not know where to post this question so I will just ask it here. Is it possible in future games to be able to upgrade infantry corps to armies? Using MPPs and the units action for that turn to do so. Our maybe taking two or three corps and merging them into an army? Like a click and hold control on the 2 or 3 corps and hit merge and then redeploy. Just a thought.

It takes some use with the editor and sprite images to achieve this.

Edit infantry weapons research so that you can reach level 4.

Edit corps unit so that it can be upgraded to level 4 (but not Armies or other units)

Edit the corps level 2 and level 3 unit sprites so it appears as an Army sprite. (There are only 3, so level 4 corps will appear as an Army as well)

Edit the corps infantry upgrade cost to 35-40%

Now a level 2 corps will have equivalent stats as a Level 0 Army. The cost will be the same as the cost of a level 0 Army. A fully upgrade corps (level 4) will cost the same, and have equivalent stats of a level 2 Army.

I hope this helps!