Been thinking about the next version of strategic command(sc 3) and what the main focus should be. And now I have an weird idea.

I think it would be innovative if the next series not focus on one or the other conflict but at multiple conflicts over longer period of time. And the natural choice for this would be from the prelude of world war 1 to the cold war.

After all all these events of the 20th century is connected to one another.

Say the game would start in 1914(or perhaps the french-german war of the 1870's and Germany uniting) with diplomacy and tension building up for a major conflict. The major conflict(world war 1) is conducted with various outcomes and is the base for the upcoming world war 2 and then with only to alliances left(capitalism/democracy-fascism-communism) the cold war begins.

Would it be possible for the sc series to go from strictly war to simulate a longer episode of the 20th century?

Interesting idea, so it would become a more Civilization like game? Where as the Civ series were more "civilization" oriented and not a wargame, the SC would become more a wargame with some Civ aspects. Because I can see already now that more sliders will be added, sliders and menues for peoples happines and growth and so on.

Right you are Mr. Cater, probably take a couple of years to balance a scenario of this length, so I have a suggestion.

Develop SC3 with one appropriate campaign, semi balanced, so that all the new features can be tweaked through its play from the many patrons of the SC series. Make sure this one campaign is thoroughly tested before release so that the potential SCers of the future will have a gauge for what is coming and of course the past releases will define the excellence and commitment of the developers.

Obviously SC3 will be the platform for the culmination of Kuni's idea and the developers can slowly expand this with downloadable content(read: revenue stream) that the SC community can balance through normal play and forum feedback. In other words, Kuni's campaign idea will be a Beta upon release and will be exposed to community development with play balancing, content releases and feature tweaking until??????

A graphic overhaul is very much needed. Unit icons in breakthrough and ww1 looks really bad and a mix of different styles. I see games from 10 years back that have better graphics, it should'nt be that difficult to improve. Heck in my Stalingrad scenario I used unit icons for my bm-13 katyusha rocket launcher and the nebelwerfer from the old game Stalingrad and they look hundred times better. It's like the old sc2 icons were too much detailed which made them look a bit rough and the ww1 icons are the opposite, looking at a german ww1 vanilla division it looks like a ragon's head or I don't know what.

In sc3 I would prefer a top down view, easier to edit and make great maps and unit icons. However if that is not possible please make the game look great and make it easier to edit. I like the editor but all that work with silhuettes and stuff is just too hard to produce different unit icons.

Simple 2D counters please - they can look utterly beautiful as modders have shown over the years. When the game requires an overview of lots of units 3D is a distraction and the perspective and scale feels wrong.

You want a combination of information - which means being able to absorb a lot in a glance, rather than a clutter of icons and indicators - and beauty.

...which would only work with 2D counters. As I play with "nato" counters, that's all I need.

Maybe not necesarilly so, 2D counters are usually stackable, you can see one counter on top of some other counters. That could be done with 3D sprites as wel. Maybe, if the game engine would allow that, make the sprites a few times smaller when occupying the same hex. Or keep the sprites the same size but give them some sort of 3D effect as to show that there are more units in the hex. (I'm thinking of the same graphic effect normal 2D counters have when there are more in the same hex, you can see that they are stacked).