Odd arty problem.

Well, it seems odd to me , at least.

I have two on-map artillery assets; an 81mm mortar and a 75mm SiG. Both are deployed, unspotted and in good order.

I have two platoon leaders, with radios, who have access to both (with green circles) and they are unspotted and in good order.

Using the LoS tool I can ascertain that both platoon leaders have a blue- line LoS to a particular area of the map and can use either of the assets.

When I select the mortar I cannot get the targetting icon onto the target; it states there is no LoS irrespective of whether I select point, area or lateral fire. It does allow the icon to place fire much nearer to the spotting HQ, so it is not as if the mortar is the problem.

On the other hand, there is no such problem with the SiG which, as seems logical, does allow me to plot fire on the target area.

I am at a loss to understand this situation which has basically rendered the mortar unsuable in this scenario.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please.

Strange, from what you described it is hard to explain that one. I would be willing to take a look at it if you email me your scenario save. I could take a look later today. My email is in my profile.

Also, Just an a pick of a nit. The German 75mm infantry gun is not a sIG. The "s" in sIG stands for "Schweres" which translates as heavy, as in 150mm sIG. German 75mm infantry guns are referred to as lIG where the "l, L" stands for "leichtes" or light in english.

Using the LoS tool I can ascertain that both platoon leaders have a blue- line LoS to a particular area of the map and can use either of the assets.

When I select the mortar I cannot get the targetting icon onto the target; it states there is no LoS irrespective of whether I select point, area or lateral fire. It does allow the icon to place fire much nearer to the spotting HQ, so it is not as if the mortar is the problem.

Sounds to me like you are trying to order the mortar to fire directly on the chosen target as opposed to via the spotter (HQ unit). If the mortar doesn't have LOS to the target area, it can't be ordered to fire directly. Instead, select a spotter with LOS to the target area, then click the support button and order your fire mission.

Sounds to me like you are trying to order the mortar to fire directly on the chosen target as opposed to via the spotter (HQ unit). If the mortar doesn't have LOS to the target area, it can't be ordered to fire directly. Instead, select a spotter with LOS to the target area, then click the support button and order your fire mission.

What he said. Also, there has to be some kind of comms link between the spotter and the shooter. He either has to be within voice (and/or visual?) range, or they both must have access to radios.

Michael

What he said. Also, there has to be some kind of comms link between the spotter and the shooter. He either has to be within voice (and/or visual?) range, or they both must have access to radios.

I've had lots and lots of trouble with this aspect. Quite often I have mortars that are "out of command" when indications are that they shouldn't be. For instance, I'm playing a game now and have two 60mm mortars in a rear area, with both of them literally right next to an HQ unit with a radio (can't remember if it's battalion HQ or company HQ or what). My HQ units and spotter up near the front can contact one of the mortars, but not the other. This makes no sense to me since both of them are right next to an HQ unit with a radio. I've had this sort of thing happen more times than I can count.

There was a post some time ago with a similar problem. The answer had something to do with the shells path. If you had a mortar set to close to a building then your range would be rather short, as you would need to set the mortar far enough away from the building to shoot over it, for the longer range shots.

I guess you could try moving your mortar, with the shells path in mind, and see if this is actually the case. :)

I think I know what Clark et al mean. I have occasionally experienced the same frustrating problem and it had nothing to do with placement next to an obstruction.

The CMBN C2 system sometimes exhibits um.. "weird" features and does not always function perfectly. Ya just gotta try different HQ's or move the mortars to a different location and suddenly the system works again - have never figured out the issue.

Well, it seems odd to me , at least.

I have two on-map artillery assets; an 81mm mortar and a 75mm SiG. Both are deployed, unspotted and in good order.

I have two platoon leaders, with radios, who have access to both (with green circles) and they are unspotted and in good order.

On the other hand, there is no such problem with the SiG which, as seems logical, does allow me to plot fire on the target area.

I am at a loss to understand this situation which has basically rendered the mortar unsuable in this scenario.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please.

Can you send me a save? PM me for e-mail address.

A quick test showed three messages that would be displayed when you can't fire.

No Line of Sight. The observer can't see the target.

Out of range. The target is either to close or to far.

No Line of Fire. This can happen it the mortar is to close to a building or some other obstruction. Moving the mortar can fix this problem.:)

I'm not talking about any command control problems here, those can be a pain.

I think I know what Clark et al mean. I have occasionally experienced the same frustrating problem and it had nothing to do with placement next to an obstruction.

The CMBN C2 system sometimes exhibits um.. "weird" features and does not always function perfectly. Ya just gotta try different HQ's or move the mortars to a different location and suddenly the system works again - have never figured out the issue.

I don't design scenarios, however, is it possible there is a problem with the C2 links on the scenario design level?

And indeed the mortars position was the culprit!

So, set up the arty strike, x minutes delay. Fine.

Next turn, although still under orders to fire, the mortar is shown as 'denied' to the originating HQ. No casualties, although some incoming fire. So i'm not going to be able to cacel the strike should I need to.

I tend to think the artillery system is a little too fiddly for its own good.