Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

just some info for NVIDIA users

I just upgraded my monitor to an LCD Panel (Dell 2405 FPW) and upgraded from Nvidia 66.93 to 71.84 (using a 6600 GT AGP) at he same time (i.e., did not change monitor and try games out first and then upgrade drivers or vice versa).

I have to report that with CMAK, night and fog looks like crap! Lots of abrupt color banding and no real fog effects.

CMBB however, with rain and fog looks good.

Both programs are fully patched, both asked for new prefs with the new monitor installed (1600x1200-60Hz) yet one looks okay and the other doesn't.

Does this make sense?

Both games looked good with my old 19" CRT running 66.93.

Will try to re-install the 66.93 drivers and see what happens.

Edit - Installed 66.93 over 71.84 and same banding appears in CMAK (not CMBB)

I'll try reconnecting the CRT tomorrow and see if this stays or goes away on the CRT.

[ March 22, 2005, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Kulin ]

I took screen shots with both CMAK and CMBB at night - fog and rain. Banding is present on both (particularly bad in CMAK).

I also checked on old CRT monitor and it is present there but not nearly so noticeable. CRT looks way darker than the LCD (I can get rid of my house lights this thing is so bright in comparison!).

Not sure if this is just natural to the CM engine or I have some display settings wrong.

Games are set at 1600x1200 60 Hz (frequency of my LCD at 1920x1200 - no flicker type eyestrain so far btw)

NVidia driver is 66.93 (I originally had it at 71.84 but screen is no different after reinstalling older driver) - fully cleaned out registry of nvidia remnants during driver changes (use Detonator Rip 1.5)

AA and AF are both set at 4x (in display properties) and are not application controlled

As I cannot post a screen shot I'll e-mail you some off-line

Andrew

System specs:

ASUS P4P-800 deluxe

P4-2.8C/800

1 GB PC 3200 DDR (Samsung)

XFX 6600GT AGP Video - 128 MB

Dell 2405 FPW (DVI)

2x120GB WD JB HDDs-Raid 0 (IDE)

1 x120GB WD JB HDD (IDE)

Sony DRU-710 DVD-R

Samsung SM-332 CD/RW

Win XP Home SP-2 (fully patched-auto updated)

ZoneAlarm 5.0+ (full retail version)

Norton Utilities 2003 incl. A-V fully updated

• 4 weeks later...

I've searched this forum and tried several sugguestions but still cannot get CMBB to work. I use WIN2K and have an Ultra/1300XT (FX5900XT) Golden Sample with 256 DDR. The original driver was a 5.xxx series. The game starts with wide diagonal lines flickering. I did a Print Screen but JPG shows the resolution selection screen correctly so the info is there but the video card isn't producing it correctly for my monitor. NEC AccuSync 95F.

After reading this string I went to NVIDIA and updated to 7.1.8.9 Same problem. I tried various refresh rates from 60 to 75, turned off FSAA, all to no avail.

I read elsewhere that driver 3.0.8.7 works well. I downloaded it but it won't overwrite 7.1.8.9

Any suggestions? I've about had it. CMAK works flawlessly with any of the changes. Battlefront needs to push a patch to allow CMBB to operate as well.

Thanks in advance!

You have a problem with your monitor, not your card. That is typical for NEC, BTW, they often communicate wrong capabilities back to the graphics card and later complain when the graphics card actually wants to use that specification.

Select one of the generic monitor in Windoze, don't select the NEC model you have. You can also read the tech specs for your monitor and enter them manually somewhere, or select a monitor with similar capabilities.

In a word: disable the functionality that the graphics card asks the monitor for its capabilities.

When you say that you're "trying 60 to 75Hz" is this in the Display control panel ? If it is, it still isn't affecting CM.

When you first launch CM without a Prefs file it will automatically go through the resolution selection process. CM knows to start at your current desktop resolution, but it doesn't necessarily start at the vertical refresh rate defined in your Display contorl panel. CM will use your current desktop resolution as its starting point, but it will use the highest vertical refresh rate offered at that resolution by the videocard. Even if you have a monitor definition file for your NEC, CM will still use the maximum refresh rate offered by the videocard.

What you can basically do is to start CM and wait. CM will automatically go through the possible vertical refresh rates available. Eventually a refresh rate that your NEC can handle should be offered and you can select that. The one problem to this could be if your monitor just stops accepting video input with any signal that is out of range (and not accepting different signals afterwards without powering down). Looking at the specs for a NEC AccuSync 95F, it should be able to do 1024x768 @ 120Hz, and my FX5900XT can do 140 & 144Hz at that resolution. So there may be two possible refresh rates that may produce the scrambled image that you're seeing.

Another method, available with the Nvidia drivers, is to go to Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced button > GeForce FX 5900XT tab > in the pop-out menu go to Refresh Rate Overrides > select "override refresh rates" and then scroll down to your desktop resolution, uncheck the 8 and 32 bit color depths and then click on the Refresh Rate (set to "Default") for a drop down list and then select the refresh rate that your LCD can work at. Supposedly this should prevent CM from using higher refresh rates at this particular resolution, with the net effect being that only one refresh rate is offered at your current desktop resolution, but subsequent resolutions will go to the videocard driver's defined max refresh rate (unless you edit them too). I have not tried this myself, so I don't know if it really works with CM, but I suspect that it might.

You can also download the proper monitor INF for your NEC AccuSync 95F from here (from the drop-down list of 'NEC CRT Desktop Displays'). Though this INF won't really do anything for CM, it is much better than a 'Default monitor' profile.

[ April 15, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]