My HQs are Calling Fire Missions Without C2

I am in turn 14 of a PBEM game and I just used two HQ units to call fire missions although they should not be able to communicate with the fire support assets.

Case 1: 1st Plt. HQ (one man - the leader, the only survivor of a heavy AC) of the Armored Car (Mixed) Co. of a Panzer Aufkarung BN is alone in a bldg. in a small town. He has no radio. He is veteran. I requested fire support from an off-map 120 mortar section. I completed the request with no problem and confirmed the mission. The delay indicated was 4 minutes. As further info there is a red dot on the UI next to 3rd Co. and a green dot next to 3rd BN. I have no idea how this unit could be considered in contact with anyone!

Case 2: 2nd Plt. HQ (three men) of 2nd Co. of a Panzergrenadier BN is in a bldg. in the same small town. They have a radio. They requested fire support from two 81 mm on-map mortars of 3rd Co. of a Pioneer BN (Armored). The mortars are positioned appx. 900 meters away and have no radio. Two fire support requests were completed without a problem for a separate target for each mortar. Again, the delay indicated was 4 minutes. Both units are veteran. Both units have a red dot for their Co. HQ and a green dot for their BN HQ. I have no idea how this Plt. HQ can be communicating with this mortar HQ from a different BN that does not have a radio.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and why were several other fire support assets on the fire support UI available to the unit with no radio??

Anyone have any idea what is going on and why were several other fire support assets on the fire support UI available to the unit with no radio??

I admit I am baffled. C2 in this game is an enigma that frankly escapes me. Seems to me none of these requests, especially the first one, should have been fulfilled. I could accept an HQ without a radio successfully calling for fire support only if (1) the firing unit was in his chain of command, and (2) it was on the map and was within either sight or sound of him.

Michael

I admit I am baffled. C2 in this game is an enigma that frankly escapes me...

I second that, C2, command bonuses and effects, the contact system and much more. So much mystery under the hood and so little information to explain it. The mysterious behaviour was probably due to the modelling of leprechauns and/or gremlins. I think those made it in.

Case 1 is a known exception to the laws of physics as we understand them:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1272591#post1272591

Offboard artillery is available to all FO and HQ units regardless of their C2 status.

Case 2 I'm not so sure about. It may qualify for a different known exception to logic alluded to in that most excellent link above...

HQ or FO units out of C2 contact still have access to onboard artillery which is part of another, unbroken chain of command.

... because of the fact that the on-board mortars have a green dot next to their BN HQ.

A unit can establish C2 contact only with a superior HQ within its own specific chain of command.

Missing links can be compensated by HQ units higher up in the same chain of command.

For sburke: I have a save file but it is almost 45 MB. We are playing on a 2x3 km fairly detailed map. The only way I could provide it is to someone with dropbox.

Hang on to it. Lots of folks using dropbox, but it looks like Vanir has at least a partial answer as to why at least one seems to flaunt logic. BFC my want to look at case 2.

Out of curiosity and off topic - how far are you into that game? Am trying to understand what are the limitations of the game and how large you can scale maps and still run through a battle on them. Been running into a wall on that and have no real feel about what comes into play trying to do larger battles.

sburke:

I have been reading the threads about map size with great trepidation. The friend that I play with and I have always liked large scale battles and during the CM1 period I always made maps as large as the game allowed. In this game, as mentioned, it is a fairly detailed 2x3 km map and we are at turn 15 with no problems as far as game play is concerned. It does take appx. 5 minutes for the game to load. Initially there was about a third of a recon BN and a quarter of an inf Bn plus a tank Plt. on each side. The first reinforcement (of four) just entered with another inf and tank Plt. plus miscellaneous units. When all reinforcements are on-map I would estimate that it would be appx. 1.5 - 2 BNs for each side.

I just finished extending the map to 3x3 km. It takes almost 7 minutes to load the 3d map view in the editor. I am unsure what the result will be when units are loaded and we attempt to play a game on that map. I do not believe my machine will be able to handle 4x4 km but I will keep trying to reach that goal. Sometime next year I will build a new computer with the latest processor, video card, etc., to handle the steep requirements.