What trainer/editor

stry67

What trainer/editor are people using in pbem?

As in granting LOS and invinicble armor?

I find it impossible an opponent's single tank gains LOS and destroys 5 of my vehicles without being seen itself and in another game 5 Kornet shots on a single Abrams with 2 missing, 3 hitting dead on the front and the abrams still rolling on. Or better yet a single shot from a ATGM hitting one weasel then daisy-chaining and destroying 3 other vehicles behind a hill from the ATGM launcher.

Obviously LOS and vehicles are being influenced by an outside variable unless this game REALLY is that imbalanced in which case I just wasted my money and will soon find something else to occupy my time as I'm sure many of you care deeply about.

If there is a vast difference in the sighting capabilities of the vehicles in question, it could happen. Say, 1 M1A2 with thermal vs. 5 T-62's with no visual sighting aids, then this could and does happen on the regular. Need some more details to make a good determination.

Obviously LOS and vehicles are being influenced by an outside variable unless this game REALLY is that imbalanced in which case I just wasted my money and will soon find something else to occupy my time as I'm sure many of you care deeply about.

Unlike most other games, Combat Mission is not artificially "balanced" in any way. We use real world data exclusively. This means that the imbalances you will find in the game mirror (or should mirror) the imbalances found in real world conflict(s).

I am the "cheater" in two of the examples he gave.

Case 1: Germany on the March! I was Red. One of my ATGMs spotted a Wiesel on the edge of the first ridge and fired a missile. I could only see the one vehicle, but after the hit there were several secondary explosions. I'm guessing his units were packed way too tight and the first explosion set off a chain reaction.

Case 2: German Mix vs Syrian Mix. I was Blue. My infantry spotted a couple of his vehicles parked and facing one of the corners of the map, so I rolled a Leopard up into a hull down position from the opposite corner and took them out. There was also an airstrike right in the middle of them of them so that probably contributed. Again he had 4+ vehicles sitting way too close together.

Thought I would just explain what actually happened. I also gave him the password to my turns so he can see what I saw. It's understandable when someone is just starting to play that they might not understand how everything works.

well a M1/Challenger/leopard have good TIS, Chally and Leopard (and M1A2) have hunter/killer capacity, which increases spotting enormusly.

Most russian made tanks have ****ty TIS (if they have one) and both tanks and BMP have ****ty observation capabilitys. if you add dust, darkness etc the difference becomes even greater.

So if you hare humping Russian/syrian gear Im not supprised.

And the Kornet... Much is up to the training of the crew on any ATGM. ATGM is a potent weapon but demands good training. so any bad modifier on your crews affects their capability to hit anything. And most russian made ATGMs aren't as good as modern US/NATO ones like Javelins etc.

So what you seem to have experienced are normal. Just ****ty luck :)

stry67: You sound like maybe you haven't played many semi-realistic sims.

Don't be discouraged or upset. There is a steep learning curve to all the CM2 games, much more than for CM1 if you did play that series. CM2 is probably one of the most challenging games I have ever played. But, its attention to detail and attempts to simulate reality are second to none in the COTS (commercial off the shelf) world of tactical military sims. But, you will have to dedicate time to learning it - probably vs the AI for a while.

Some knowledge of RL tactics etc is very helpful altho' not essential. You can find lots of hints and methods of playing CMSF and the other games in the various forums here and at Band Of Brothers (a YUKU site).

The lethality in CMSF takes some getting used to. Allied forces have a substantial technological advantage especially with "sighting" targets and bringing fire to the enemy. Just remember the "Blue" forces can use range to their advantage and the "Red" forces usually need to significantly reduce range to be effective. And always have spacing between units if possible in modern warfare as superiority of fire can be achieved at greater distances for both sides.

From a purely technical standpoint a trainer or editor for PBEM would be functionally impossible to create.

That said, yes - the two sides are differently abled. Syrian units need to play to their advantages. That includes *not* slugging it out with Blue armor without a significant numerical advantage.