CMAK lock-ups

Problem:

CMAK locks-up for no obvious reason. This can happen after 10 seconds or maybe as long as two minutes.

There are two incarnations of lock-up:

a)The screen freezes totally, necesitating a reboot. This tends to happen in relatively static screens such as scenario selection or naming a PBEM file.

b)the screen freezes (usually at some point in a turn); the mouse pointer still moves, but without function. I can ctrl/alt/del and this puts me back to desktop with Windows task manager on.

I then get up an "unhandeled exception C0000005 at address 6d919c48"

Clicking on anything clears CMAK away with a windows message saying CMAK exe. has had to close down.

My system is:

Asus A7V8X Athlon MB

AMD athlon 2700XP

512MB DDR333 memory

128MB Geforce 4 Ti4800SE (6175 drivers, but previous two have same effect)

Audigy 1394(5.1)player

80 GB HD (only half of it being used)

This doesn't happen with anything else. Very occaisional forays into Morrowind, Medieval Total War, HPS Alamein produce no problems, nor do any demos that are downloaded.

I remain baffled, which is not difficult!

If anyone can throw any light on this, I shall be most gratefull; if not then CMAK will have to become a thing of the past.

Hpt.Lisse.

No changes at all, AFAIK. The only thing I have ever conciously changed are the vid. drivers and each succesive one has made the situation worse.

In fact I'm sure that's when the problem started; first driver change after CMAk came out. Trouble is I have no idea what driver was in place then and should I really need to have old, presumably less efficient drivers, to run CMAK?

I might just try going on to the Nvidia site and getting an older driver just to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the interest.

Alright, bro, late work night off the cuff answers.

The 56.72 drivers are a few months older, but worked for nearly everyone.

Did you re-install DX9?

Are you familiar with your motherboard's BIOS settings? If so, I want you to try a few things.

Turn off Fast Writes, lower the AGP mode from x8 to x4 (believe me, it ain't gonna make a difference with your setup) and change your AGP apeture to 64 MB. Re-test.

Post the findings. Then Schrullenhaft will actually assist you...

SIGH!!!!

Back to square one. Literally.

Exactly the same problem; same error message, everything.

Bios is fixed at 8xAGP (greyed-out, so can't change it)

AGP aperture is at 64mb

fast re-writes disabled.

Have tried 56.72 drivers as well; no difference.

It also freezes up when I try the benchmarking programme 3DMark03.

Could this be a problem graphics card?

It may very well be a faulty graphics card, but you'll probably want to check a few more things first. Since you're locking up in the 3DMark benchmark that would be a definite indication to me that the problem is beyond CM.

Have you installed the VIA Hyperion chipset drivers for your motherboard ? They may make little difference, but they often provide compatibility fixes for the AGP interface.

However your videocard may simply be overheating, which will often result in either lockups or graphics corruption on the screen. When the videocard is performing 3D operations it calls up a lot more video circuitry which can lead to overheating of an improperly cooled video GPU. You may want to visually inspect you videocard to make sure that the fan is spinning properly and there's no excessive dust build-up on it (specifically around the heatsink/fan).

If that doesn't work, then you may need to examine the heatsink a little more carefully to see if it is properly seated against the GPU. If you don't feel too clumsy, you could possibly remove the heatsink (though they are sometimes glued on, so be careful) and clean it up and reapply a moderate amount of thermal compound (usually a white colored grease). The idea here is to make sure that the GPU is making good contact with the heatsink to cool down.

Video memory overheating can be another possibility, but often the problem manifests itself as 'colored blocks' or other screen corruption that suddenly appears. This doesn't sound like your particular problem.