help linking commands together

Hi all

Just a quick post to see if anyone can help me.

I have no trouble stringing most commands together (i.e. move quick, hunt to next waypoint with cover arc etc) but what I can't seem to do is get guys/guns to dismount from vehicles in the same turn.

An example: in the training mission I receive reinforcements in two jeeps. I wanted to race one of these jeeps to reinforce an understrength LMG team. I place all my waypoints - no problem, but for whatever reason the last waypoint where I want them to dismount and move toward my lmg guys the dismount button is greyed out/can't be selected. So essentially I have to waste a turn waiting for my guys to reach the destination and the vehicle to stop and just sit there doing nothing. Only on the next turn can they be dismounted and as a result they are the mercy of whoever happens along.

Am I missing something blindinly obvious?

Any help gratefully received :)

BTW the game is incredible! Who would have thought that a turn based game could be so intense? In this particular training scenario (RAFF no.3) my lmg squad outflanked and single handedly destroyed 4 german squads - not bad for 3 lads! Of particular not in the replay was the german who went to throw a grenade at my LMG guys but was cut down just as he was about to throw - suffice to say the grenade dropped from his hand, exploded killing himself and incapacitating another german soldier who was trying to run away - amazing!

Thanks for an amazing game battlefront! I can't wait for another Barbarossa to Berlin some time in the future.

Skimbo

Hi all

Just a quick post to see if anyone can help me.

I have no trouble stringing most commands together (i.e. move quick, hunt to next waypoint with cover arc etc) but what I can't seem to do is get guys/guns to dismount from vehicles in the same turn.

Am I missing something blindinly obvious?

Well, it's not precisely 'blindingly obvious, but it is quite definite. Dismount/bail orders are always interpreted as being given at the unit's current location, not the waypoint you have selected. It's just a current limitation of the game engine.

You can, however, have your troops dismount in the same turn they're being ferried about, that the vehicle they're riding in ends its movement (not stop for a pause or a sharp turn, ends). Once they're mounted, give them Move orders to where you want them to go after their lift drops them off, and they'll automatically dismount and scurry to where you sent them (obeying all the waypoint commands you feel like setting) when the transport halts. This works over multiple turn orders. Great for bringing reinforcements forward and getting them out of their rides without having to baby sit them.

It doesn't work for crews/drivers though.

When doing this there is a slightly disconcerting thing you should know about. The team in the transport will have a move order that takes them from the vehicle's current position to the first way point after dropping them off. The first time you do it you feel like they are going to jump out right away and start running across the map. Don't worry they will stay in the vehicle. I usually play with "show all movement paths" turned on. That way I can see the vehicle's movement orders while setting up the passengers move orders too.

When doing this there is a slightly disconcerting thing you should know about. The team in the transport will have a move order that takes them from the vehicle's current position to the first way point after dropping them off. The first time you do it you feel like they are going to jump out right away and start running across the map. Don't worry they will stay in the vehicle. I usually play with "show all movement paths" turned on. That way I can see the vehicle's movement orders while setting up the passengers move orders too.

Just for my own reassurance, I usually give passengers a 5 second pause. Probably not necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Michael

"I usually give passengers a 5 second pause. Probably not necessary..."

Definitely not necessary. The only way inf will dismount b4 vehicle movement is if one issues a "DISMOUNT" order first. (I do not think that the vehicle needs to be given a pause to allow dismounting - IIRC it's automatic.) Anyway... pretty easy to test all this.