Any Marder IIs still around in France '44?

It's been hard trying to track down definite info. I don't believe the Marder II was in CMBO.

IMHO the marder II was used mostly on the Eastern front and had been taken out of service in early 1944. But there were still a few Marder Is around in Normandy - as far as I remember 24 in the 21st Panzer and 12 in the 17th SS Panzer Grenadier.

Here's a link to a pdf containing lots of information about converted french vehicles the germans used on several fronts. I do not know if the marder II is mentioned though.

http://conflictuel.pagesperso-orange.fr/LGGtemp/Captured%20and%20converted%20French%20vehicles%20in%20German%20service.pdf

Marder I was based on French equipment (e.g. the Lorraine-Dietrich tractors). The Marder II was based on the Panzer II chassis.

Marder I was based on French equipment (e.g. the Lorraine-Dietrich tractors). The Marder II was based on the Panzer II chassis.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have mentioned that the pdf does not only give information about converted french vehicles but also contains some information about Marder I's that were replaced in the west by marder III's during the sumer of '43, completely German made. Since I did not read the entire document when I posted the link it could have been that the marder II was descibed as well. Now I know that it is not.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have mentioned that the pdf does not only give information about converted french vehicles but also contains some information about Marder I's that were replaced in the west by marder III's during the sumer of '43, completely German made. Since I did not read the entire document when I posted the link it could have been that the marder II was descibed as well. Now I know that it is not.

didn't want to offend you. a marder classification :

marder I - 7,62-cm-Pak 36® (only a few with 7,5-cm-PaK 40/1 L46 i believe) based on various french chassis hotchkiss H35 (f) and H39 (f) and lorraine tractors. seems also that there were a few polish made chassis. 185 produced as Sd.Kfz 135. seems that most of them stayed in the west and africa. some additional built as SP howitzer (105mm, 150mm) as Sd.Kfz. 135/1.

marder II - used both guns on a panzer II chassis - the only "true" german marder. with the PaK 40 Sd.Kfz. 131 (651 pieces) with the russian gun Sd.Kfz. 132 (201 pieces).

marder III - based on the czech chassis (Pz.Kpfw. 38(t)) Sd.Kfz. 138 with german PaK 40 (some 418 Ausf. H and 975 - maybe more - Ausf M). Sd.Kfz. 139 with the russian gun some 363 produced.

That's allright, I'm not offended at all. I will take your information regarding the Marder I and Marder II for what it is, as I have no doubt it is all true and correct. And I think I will throw away that encyclopedia I have for Armored Fighting Vehicles which claims the Marder III is completely German made.:D

Interesting stuff, thanks. If I may change the subject a bit and ask about the PzIIL Luchs/Lynx. According to the Achtung Panzer website it was issued to the 116th Pz Div and so should have come up against the Americans. Can any one verify this or did only the SS divisions have it if even them in June to Aug '44?

They were made under German occupation. So keep the encylopedia:D
I will keep the encyclopedia as it was me who did not read the information regarding the Marders correctly (at all). In fact I have been quickly hiding myself behind a book when I discovered the error I made and wanted to spare myself the public, and world wide humiliation of looking ignorant on this subject.:o The encyclopedia is very detailed and contains much and very interesting information. I'm stil glad I bought the book some years ago. I will be more carefull in the future when writing about certain vehicles and their use, or specifications during WW II on these forums.

If I may change the subject a bit and ask about the PzIIL Luchs/Lynx. According to the Achtung Panzer website it was issued to the 116th Pz Div and so should have come up against the Americans. Can any one verify this or did only the SS divisions have it if even them in June to Aug '44?
You may, ofcourse, change the subject and ask abouth the PzIIL Luchs/lynx. I can't give you an answer now, but if I stumble across any information about the PzIIL Luchs/Lynx and what divisions fielded it I will let you know.

Hey,

@ Sequoia an Eddie:

The following German Divisions (and only these units) used the "Panzer II, Luchs":

- 9. Panzer-Division (Westfront)

- 4. Panzer-Division (Eastfront)

- 4. Kavallerie-Division (Eastfront)

- Panzerkorps "Hermann Göring"

The 116. Panzer-Division had no tanks of this type, and also none of the SS-Divisions.

Regards Frank

The following German Divisions (and only these units) used the "Panzer II, Luchs":

- 9. Panzer-Division (Westfront)

- 4. Panzer-Division (Eastfront)

- 4. Kavallerie-Division (Eastfront)

- Panzerkorps "Hermann Göring"

where just the 9 & 4 PD had significant numbers in 1944. 4. Kav had 3 or 4 and PK HG a single one I believe - but don't nail me on the numbers ;) . And towards the end of the war - if my memory doesn't fail me - some reserve panzer unit had a few and also another PD had a single one (in the area of Vienna i believe) - but these were times of utter chaos.

.... but these were times of utter chaos.

The last year of the war had some of the highest death tolls of the entire war. Very interesting year 1945.. I cant wait until CMx2 hits the Ostfront, or even the West front invasion of the Reich. (by the way Im missing Pzfausts 60's and 100s really bad in our games Winkelreid)

Anyone remember the CMBO demo battle Riesberg? I loved that battle - the desperation of holding on so more kameraden could escape the Red Hordes. Bagration, Seelow Heights.... man oh man... =D

where just the 9 & 4 PD had significant numbers in 1944. 4. Kav had 3 or 4 and PK HG a single one I believe - but don't nail me on the numbers . And towards the end of the war - if my memory doesn't fail me - some reserve panzer unit had a few and also another PD had a single one (in the area of Vienna i believe)
Yet more usefull information, thanks!:)