Whatever happened to RAMADI?

How about perhaps releasing the Ramadi map itself? I've been thinking that a "vignette from the Ramadi equivalent of Operation Phantom Fury" scenario would be cool; and with your permission, I'd like to try my hand at putting together such a scenario.

• 6 months later...

Yes, per the below post. However, between RL and my other CM projects, I haven't in fact started work on it yet; a lot has to go into creating an intelligent and challenging RED AI plan. Still very much on the menu though.

btw, I've started work on my second scenario, WICKED WEDNESDAY, based on the historical action of July 14, 2004. Some of the same cast of characters as JOKER THREE are involved, including Army 1/1 BCT commander COL Connor (DEVIL SIX) and 2/4 Marine commander LTC Kennedy (BASTARD SIX). It will be a somewhat smaller scale (1 Army and 1 Marine platoon) and centered on Route Michigan.

I may also make this scenario an all-Army affair, with Army soldiers standing in for Kennedy's Marine security detail (heresy, I know!), in order to make the game playable by those who own only the base game.

Well other than the basic plotline of "US forces surrounded by insurgents, calling for help", WICKED WEDNESDAY doesn't actually resemble JOKER THREE much.

Keep in mind that my Ramadi series is intended to be a kind of military history exercise, tracing the evolution of MOUT tactics on both sides during the "high intensity" moments in what was on average a "medium intensity" counterinsurgency environment drawn out over 3+ years. I will also try to make them fun and challenging CM games, but they aren't necessarily desperate fights to the death (unless you are careless).

WICKED WEDNESDAY is an insurgent "complex attack" (multiple IEDs triggering an ambush) on a roadbound Army column of Humvees and trucks, with a further set of ambushes and IEDs positioned to hit the Marine QRFs whose SOPs have been carefully studied.... it's the rescue forces that are the primary insurgent target this time.

Basically, after April 6, the insurgent commanders realized that their best chance of hurting lots of Americans at once and creating lurid CNN headlines was to bring them out of their bases -- preferably in a flustered rush to rescue trapped comrades -- and hit them on the move. They missed their chance on April 6 when too many of their ill-disciplined gunmen focused on trying to kill the holed up JOKER THREE squads instead of ambushing the fragmented US relief forces in a coordinated way. Many of the rebel leaders were cashiered Baathist army officers, remember, and very experienced at fighting the Iranians, Shiites and Kurds. They studied and learned.

But this approach, while conceptually correct, still didn't work out for them because the Americans had learned from April 6 as well -- the DEVIL SIX column wasn't about to let itself get outgunned. And the Marine response was both prompt and disciplined (I won't say more -- no spoilers). Once the rebels realized that they weren't going to isolate and outgun any small subunits, they cut their losses and melted away.

okay. I guess I didn't read closely enuff. I thought you were redoing JOKER 3 with Army instead. doh!

I do think your amazing maps are almost TOO good/large for the scenarios as (I think) you only used a fraction for JOKER 3(?)

While you like to design historical scenarios, have you considered an all out assault with heavy arty etc on an urban environment (modern Stalingrad) - just for fun. How about the Syrians finally get together with the Jordanians and Egyptians and get to assault Jerusalem while the IDF makes its final stand?