Troops entering Connected Buildings

Hello:

Using Vierville as an example again as it has many of these. Pretty sure I saw a squad going from building 1 to 2 by going through a wall. This makes planning difficult. Is that a known bug?

Also when entering some buildings they don't go in through the doors/windows but through the wall.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hello:

Also when entering some buildings they don't go in through the doors/windows but through the wall.

Buildings are a mess in CMBN. And I'm not dredging up the old cover/concealment debate. The problems seem most intractable when two or more structures are joined at the hip.

Here's a screenshot from Field Marshal Blücher's new campaign. It shows a warehouse with no apparent firing ports on any floor. Yet squads can shoot out from the first floor while fire is completely blocked on the 2nd. Why? There's no visual clue to aid the player.

26240356.jpg

A squad exiting the same warehouse via some invisible crease in the adjoining walls:

71576212.jpg

Really, the unpredictability of structures renders the game unplayable at times. They don't appear to conform to any WYSIWYG standard.

What gets me is when one exterior wall of a building (house type) has a door (or at least what looks like a door), yet when you order a unit into the building, the pixeltruppen go around the building (thus exposing themselves to fire) to enter via the front door, even if one adds a just-to-be-sure waypoint right by the door one wants one's pixeltruppen to enter through.

I haven't encountered this all that often, but it seem to happen usually when it's important that one's squad enters a house through one door rather than the door on the oppoite side.

Here's a screenshot from Field Marshal Blücher's new campaign. It shows a warehouse with no apparent firing ports on any floor. Yet squads can shoot out from the first floor while fire is completely blocked on the 2nd. Why? There's no visual clue to aid the player.

Ah ... to me it shows a building that has a solid wall with no windows on the second floor (hence you can't fire out of it) and a completely open ground floor (no wall at all, like the opening of a garage or ... a warehouse) hence you can fire out of it.

There's nothing messed up there except PEBKAS ;)

Yeah, I got beaten to it but -

Childress the buildings you see are like aircraft hangers or something. When I played that battle I noticed it too. Its really just modelling a big open bay hanger or somefink.

FWIW I dont think the buildings are that bad - you just have to do a lil work making sure theres doors and whatnot.

I too experienced adjoining walls of one closed and one open to be generally open for movements. Think that some of the messed stuff comes from "intersection" of 3D objects. Could also happen when other outside 3D objects touch or even intersect with a building, like stone walls and such. I also noticed that damaged buildings receive more and more (invisible) openings, for watching/shooting, but also for movements. So a window-, door less wall might get openend for movements, when the building received some damage before. I also suspect buildings placed off center to cause some issues, as many or most game routines compute from the middle of an action spot and in the case of off center placed buildings, the middle action spot then might fall on the edges of walls and other objects.