Which Strategic command to get

I'm a bit confused as to which strategic command to get.

I like the idea of playing WWI but I also would like to play WWII European theater or even the globe.

Does WW1: the Great War 1914-1918 with the 1939 expansion do that?

What is the difference between Global conflict and the Great War or something like Patton drives east... which is the most up to date and advanced game engine?

Is the Global Conflict version something that is now in its final form (i.e. no more patches, not being worked on etc.).

Conan

Hi Conan,

The WWI game is primarily of course a WWI release but does now come with a free European Theater campaign. This was included to take advantage of the latest code as well as the largest European Theater map created for the SC series so far and to give our long time fans/customers a bit of a freebie just to say thanks for all the support over the years :)

If you are interested in playing the Pacific Theater, the entire world or a bit of alternate history like Patton Drives East then we have previous releases that cover those in quite some detail.

For the Global release, there will likely be at least one more patch... hope this helps,

Hubert

Ok still slightly confused... So the WWI game doesn't enable me to do the Pacific or fully do WWII (does it have like the WWII units that would be present in Global or the Patton drives East etc.)?

however for the Global, does that still give me the capability to do things that were in like Patton Drives East, or european only maps etc.?

Conan

The big difference is SCWWI defaults to WWI parameters. If you want to play WWII scenarios then you will have to rely on mods rather than prebuilt ones. Mods for previous games can be adapted to the WWI engine but this does require some expertise. In other words, yes you can play global scenarios on SCWWI but it may be more work than you want to do right now. Buying a previous game gets you all the prebuilt scenarios for that subject and the default parameters will not have to be adjusted.:D

That's correct, each game is stand alone and the scenarios can't port over from one version to another as each new release introduces things like new unit types, data and country slots and other items that make older campaigns unfortunately incompatible.

However as wlape3 suggested, there is a manual process you can use with the Editor to import some data from previous releases and build your own campaigns that mirror those from the older games but it does take some time and effort.

Hubert

Actually, you can port over just about any scenario. The problem is the scenarios require varying amounts of revamping to work properly with the new game engine. In some cases unit types have changed or been eliminated. You can get around these issues but you have to develop some expertise with the editor to accomplish this.

One of the shining features of the SC2 game system is the ease with which you can customize scenarios. The editor is straight-forward and most of the parameters are tweakable. There is a learning curve just like anything else but not a steep one.

Looks like Hubert was already on this one and answered it more succinctly than I.

I'd recommend to get either Global Conflict, or WWI precisely because of what you said: it has the most up to date engine. Several important adjustments were made in Global Conflict that you really do not wish to play without. The adjustment that high tech units do not instantly destroy enemies at the end of the game is important in particular, as it drastically changes the gameplay. This change is also present in the WWI game, as the WWI game was released later than Global Conflict.

Some additional revisions were made in the WWI game, although these are not important enough to make Global Conflict outdated. The games before Global Conflict really are kind of outdated now however, so I would not recommend buying these at the moment anymore.

Get Global Conflict for the first truly magnificant WW2 game which covers the complete World Map, and buy WW1 for the best WW1 game ever released (and to receive the free WW2 campaign with all the latest game engine improvements and the biggest SC2 WW2 ETO map ever released).

In short: buy as much as you can, as even the Pacific game and the Patton drives east "what if" campaigns are worth your money.