Quick Battles

So far I have used a small force which I pick for both sides with a large map that I also choose.

I always give the computer more and better forces than my own. Seems to make for interesting play.

I save each turn so I can go back after to try different approaches to a problem.

*Before I get into my main post here is my plug/request for force adjustment for both attacker AND defender*

I go with manually picked, Large to Medium maps, with Medium Forces, 1hr 15 min up to 2 hours or a Small map/small force for about 1 hour. Forces cherry picked.

I use to only play the AI but pretty much only play human PBEM battles now. Anyone who has never tried playing a human opponent is missing a great experience, at least in my opinion.

Forgot to say, Normal rarity for both unless my opponent feels like playing a "rare" game with several of the normally expensive rarer units like Pumas, late M-10 TDs, Tigers and so on.

I usually play wego. Sometimes I play hotseat and play both sides.

When I play hotseat, to maintain some element of fog of war, I use a dice for one side to roughly determine events.

Let's say I am totally controlling the Germans, considering them to be my troops.

I will make a plan for them in advance that I must stick to until first contact.

Then for the opposing force I may consider 3 different avenues of advance for each turn of each unit type.

For instance on turn 1 to move infantry ahead I may as options consider;

Dice Roll 1-2 Infantry advances along the road with scout in advance by 30 seconds

Dice Roll 3-4 Infantry advances through forest to treeline.

Dice roll 5-6 Infantry Flanks left through farmland

My troops can only deviate from my "masterplan" upon first contact.

This can make a solitaire game more intersting as there is an element of chance and you can't always predict what the enemy will do.

Plausible actions should be the rule although it is fun sometimes to have "heroic" action as an alternative.

When settings up quick battles what is your prefference? Med/small. time, map size, battle type, or whatever.

I enjoy a variety. Right now I have one small, three medium and one large battle on the go via PBEM. One of my medium battles is on a large map too. I find the system very flexible. Sometimes I choose a particular map type (urban, village etc.) sometimes random. Most other things I leave as random but every now and then I fix the light level and weather. After two battles randomly set in the dark I forced the next one to be daylight for example.