Anti-tank guns & spotting

Hi all. BFN is excellent but I am having issues with anti-tank guns.

Whilst I do not have a problem with their anti-infantry lethalty (every nation had effecive HE rounds for their ATG's by 1944) which is huge, I am finding that anti-tank guns can often shoot several times without anyone spotting them.

Against armour only, this is understandable (although still seems too generous- unengaged elements of the same unit being attacked seem to have big issues spotting anti tank guns which are firing)

It also seems to happen against infantry which does seem strange.

I have seen instances where a gun has fired several rounds, basically decimating a platoon without anyone spotting where the fire is coming from.

I do not doubt that they are more difficult to spot in real life than a vehicle, but in BfN they seem to have somewhat of a 'cloaking device' effect.

Hi all. BFN is excellent but I am having issues with anti-tank guns.

Whilst I do not have a problem with their anti-infantry lethalty (every nation had effecive HE rounds for their ATG's by 1944) which is huge, I am finding that anti-tank guns can often shoot several times without anyone spotting them.

Against armour only, this is understandable (although still seems too generous- unengaged elements of the same unit being attacked seem to have big issues spotting anti tank guns which are firing)

It also seems to happen against infantry which does seem strange.

I have seen instances where a gun has fired several rounds, basically decimating a platoon without anyone spotting where the fire is coming from.

I do not doubt that they are more difficult to spot in real life than a vehicle, but in BfN they seem to have somewhat of a 'cloaking device' effect.

What units have LOS to the gun? Are they under fire?

It was commonplace for units to come under fire without having any idea for a long time where it was coming from. I sometimes feel it's too easy to spot the enemy (particularly Germans with their, AIUI, truly smokeless, flashless powder). If your platoon is under fire, it will be primarily concerned with seeking cover, so may well not be able to spot its persecutor, and if the gun is well sited, they'll be the only ones which would have a chance of seeing it.

There's a lot of variables in the spotting game, and it's difficult to tell whether any given anecdote is "just what you'd expect, really", or just an outlier statistically, or some sort of glitch.

AT guns in Normandy were able to be extremely well hidden and camouflaged. They have low silhouettes, too. If you get one situated just right in th egame, all you see is a little bit of muzzle poking out of the foliage. How would you spot that unless you happened to see the flash? And you might need to see it fire a few times before you could pinpoint it, in which case you might already be dead.

I think it is fine. AT guns give up mobility in exchange for being devilish hard to find. I have seen them fire several rounds off, both on the receiving and giving end, and sometimes they are spotted pretty quickly and other times not till the end game map. As someone else mentioned a lot of it depends on location and a healthy dose of battlefield luck.

I think it is fine. AT guns give up mobility in exchange for being devilish hard to find. I have seen them fire several rounds off, both on the receiving and giving end, and sometimes they are spotted pretty quickly and other times not till the end game map. As someone else mentioned a lot of it depends on location and a healthy dose of battlefield luck.

I agree with this, spotting them can vary plenty in the game, and if you are playing head to head, they dont need spotted in wego, the player can figure out where the fire is coming from and area fire on the next turn, So less likely to last long in that type of play.