Routed or merely panicked?

Would it be possible to include the 'routed state' in a future update?

Currently units that have had enough are shown as having 'panic' as their status. As some units recover from 'panic', it can be hard to differentiate between merely panicked and truly routed. It would be much clearer if 'routed' was used for routed units.

"Paniced" is different from "Routed". The "I'm not gonna fight no more" status most commonly achieved, IME, is "Broken". Paniced troops can, given time, recover to 'usable' morale levels (they're probably 'brittle', so best only used to provide covering fire) Broken troops need a very long time to recover, if they can at all, and will go uncontrolled if they're shot at, so aren't really any use for anything except occupying already-cleared VLs.

Routing is a particular status that you won't often see, as its consequence is that the unit leaves the table. If you don't have the unit spotted, you won't see the red "!" as they disappear.

Apparently no one has ever seen the red exclamation mark in CMBN - because it doesn't exist.

If anyone has ever seen the word 'routed' in a unit status box I'd be very interested to know.

As far as I can tell - a permanent state of panic is the closest we get to routed.

If anyone has ever seen the word 'routed' in a unit status box I'd be very interested to know.

You'd have to be looking at the unit at the point it routed.

As far as I can tell - a permanent state of panic is the closest we get to routed.

Broken is further down the morale tree than Panic. If something is Paniced for a long time it'll convert to Broken. If it's Paniced for a short time, it'll come back 'up' to Shaken then Rattled.

Apparently no one has ever seen the red exclamation mark in CMBN - because it doesn't exist.

This is from page 95 of the CM:BN manual. It states that the red exclamation mark does exist. I've never seen one either but it's probably just very hard to catch when it happens kind of like the very short term red crosses for casualties.

"ROUT

Heavily shaken, panicked soldiers may rout. Routing occurs when a soldier’s

combat morale is so badly shaken (usually after repeated Panic states) that

he stops any further participation for the entire remaining duration of the

battle. This may mean simply cowering in a hole on the ground or throwing

away his weapon and running away. Routed soldiers appear as MIA (Missing

in Action) on the After-Action Report.

Unlike surrendering, routing is automatically successful, and the routed soldier

disappears under a red exclamation mark."

The info on page 95 was left over from CMSF.

But, as everyone appears happy with the current situation where units (that should have routed) sit at the edge of the map in a state of permanent panic, I guess my request for a 'routed' status in not needed.

Surrender doesn't happen as often as it should, either. Troops running about in the open like headless chickens in front of a couple of tanks and a squad's worth of rifle teams. About 1 in 3 times, the last man surrenders after his team mates have been gunned down. In the same way, just because 'broken' troops often fail to Rout doesn't mean it ain't there.

Still, you'll never see an enemy unit Rout if it's not spotted, and given its transitory nature, I reckon it'd be easy to miss in your own troops, even in WeGo.

Surrender doesn't happen as often as it should, either.

That's for sure. Or rather there aren't enough surrenders in volume. Usually it's one or two guys. I picture a platoon of Shermans pulling up to a shredded Conscript platoon huddling in a trench and bagging a couple of dozen POWs. Not happening yet though four troopers did surrender to my Crack Airborne squad today. That's a record.

Surrender doesn't happen as often as it should, either. Troops running about in the open like headless chickens in front of a couple of tanks and a squad's worth of rifle teams. About 1 in 3 times, the last man surrenders after his team mates have been gunned down. In the same way, just because 'broken' troops often fail to Rout doesn't mean it ain't there.

Still, you'll never see an enemy unit Rout if it's not spotted, and given its transitory nature, I reckon it'd be easy to miss in your own troops, even in WeGo.

I tend to know what units I have on the map. If one suddenly disappeared I'm sure I'd know about it.