Disputed objective zones - again.

Once again, a PBEM with a score line bollixed by having a 'disputed' objective zone. The culprits? A wounded crewman and a wounded survivor of a HQ unit. My opponent had nothing else left to move into the zone, whereas I had several fully armed and crewed HTs and some infantry in the zone and several more HTs and an AC not too far away.

"Is the area secure Captain?"

"No sir, sorry sir; once again the enemy has put up a fiece fight and we cannot claim to have taken the objective"

" But you have over a hundred men in there; not to mention a platoon of tanks. What is it this time Captain? The day before yesterday it was two formidable panzer grenadiers who denied us victory. Yesterday, a crazy lieutenant with schmeisser put the kybosh on it - what now?"

"Well Colonel, there's a wounded kraut crewman in a building firing his pistol at us - we've come to an impasse"

" My god Captain, we'll have to call an airstrike and winkle him out! How am I going to explain this to Division?"

Once again, a PBEM with a score line bollixed by having a 'disputed' objective zone. The culprits? A wounded crewman and a wounded survivor of a HQ unit. My opponent had nothing else left to move into the zone, whereas I had several fully armed and crewed HTs and some infantry in the zone and several more HTs and an AC not too far away.

"Is the area secure Captain?"

"No sir, sorry sir; once again the enemy has put up a fiece fight and we cannot claim to have taken the objective"

" But you have over a hundred men in there; not to mention a platoon of tanks. What is it this time Captain? The day before yesterday it was two formidable panzer grenadiers who denied us victory. Yesterday, a crazy lieutenant with schmeisser put the kybosh on it - what now?"

"Well Colonel, there's a wounded kraut crewman in a building firing his pistol at us - we've come to an impasse"

" My god Captain, we'll have to call an airstrike and winkle him out! How am I going to explain this to Division?"

Whoever is in charge of the clearing phase of operations needs to be sent back to the typing pool.

So let me get this straight: You had "some infantry" and "several" armed HTs on the objective, and you couldn't take care of a 2 injured guys with pistols?

Methinks your sweep & clear routine needs a bit of work there, my friend.

And that is surely the point; that is all it is, sweep and clean. No real threat and while it may take a few minutes. or even several, the objective is effectively 'taken'. It would have been the same had I had a hundred men present in the objective zone.

Or is victory predicated only on that precise minute in time - in my game my opponent asked for a cease-fire realising he had no forces left and I reciprocated. Obviously I should have spent the next ten turns wiping out his pitiful survivors while my opponent twiddled his thumbs - how utterly pointless.

You obviously know you won and your opponent knows they were defeated. Why then worry on how the "GAME" catagorizes your victory?

be careful with statements like this, there is ladder players out there that this stuff all matters to.

I agree, at the moment, sweep and clean tactics are needed to be done before you allow a game to end when dealing with objectives.

But I have to agree with the concept that maybe there needs to be another catagory of points awarded in capture zones where this tactic of a few men left behind cannot affect the score much.

If you have a 100 points of units in a zone and the other guy has 2, the zone is in your control. that is what is being pointed out. So why not have a system that allows the percentage being awarded, in this case he would receive 98% of the possible points assigned for that zone.

You could have both types still, thus leaving a type of zone players need to learn they must totally sweep and clean. but a new better type where last second rushes by a deveated enemy does not allow him large points being denied just because he has a man or 2 in the zone.