buddy aid for immobilized tanks

What about radio repair? Comms are essential in the game for the relative spotting system. Wouldn't a few shattered tubes be easily repaired by the radioman in the tank if the radio gets knocked out? What about spare antennas? How do we know if the tank crew needs to debark to carry out a repair? Would that make a difference? I think it would.

Do you see where I'm going? No. Okay, another one: what about using the backup optics and mounting that in place of the destroyed gun optics? Etc.

I am not opposed to repairs in game. I am opposed to simulating a multi-hour repair in game. In fact, I could argue that the campaign system simulates this repair process quite well.

There are, literally, a myriad of reasons why a tank could be immobilized. These would have to be modelled. (Pick your level of fidelity: a simple percentage equating to how much time it would take, all the way up to fully modelling subsystems and their failure and repair modes.)

This is a far more complex issue than just moving another tank next to yours and slowly gaining "health".

Towing, and other recovery, would not happen in the teeth of enemy fire. Sporadic, or light fire, or the odd counterattack in the midst of a long recovery, fine. But most recovery efforts - East and West, both sides - took place AFTER the immediate firefight was over. CMBN simulates that firefight. The campaign takes care of the cleanup.

This is a far more complex issue than just moving another tank next to yours and slowly gaining "health".

No duh. And first-aid/battlefield evac. is a far more complex issue than having a guy squat over a gravely wounded guy and mime wrapping bandages for a minute or two; most people get over it and don't moan about it's implementation (buddy-aid, that is). Turns out some gross abstractions are sufficient to enhance enjoyment and tactical experience, for me and a few others at least - if that were not true this game would not exist.

And, for what it's worth I'd like to see a 'no time-limit' option.