ATG not moving

Hi all

having problems with my Anti-tank guns.

i noticed in demo they wouldnt move and when turning to face would slowly turn maybe 2 mins to revolve 180 deg.

thought maybe in full game problem would be resolved but to my horror same bug.

obviously cant hitch to vehicles either :mad:

removed game and reinstalled but still same prob.

any suggestions??

Ah, I think that is pretty much how they work. Turning an ATG on its wheels will take ages IRL.

Normally they just traverse a little either side without moving the carriage.

Some traverse 360 on the carriage, 2lbr for example but most are restricted by how much they can traverse either side without moving the trail. This is usually a fair bit but well sort of 180 deg.

OK well from all that it looks like you can. Seem to be some prerequisites tho' particularly when limbering the gun. Seem to be some specific requirements of the towing vehicle.

Would depend on the gun a bit too. I would think that 57mm, Pak 40 would be about as big as you can go and be able to move them by hand.

I don't actually have the game, I am a Modern Grog. :D

Yes; AT guns mounted on split rail carriages rotate very slowly once they get beyond the deflection allowed by the mount. Best to set them up pointing in the direction of expected engagement, and plan ahead if you need to change this. Guns mounted on cruciform carriages (certain versions of German 88) rotate more quickly.

And yes, guns can be limbered to vehicles, driven around, and then unlimbered somewhere else. Be aware that there is deploy and "pack up" time involved, which can be several minutes depending on type of gun -- shown under the unit's silhouette in the GUI.

Also, size of the gun vs. size of the vehicle matters. I haven't done comprehensive testing on what can pull what, but for example, I suspect you can't drive around with a 75mm PaK40 attached to a kubelwagen.

Also, again I haven't tested this, but I think some guns (Types of German 88, mostly, I think), are so big, there's no vehicle large enough to be move them in-game. FlaK 88s, for example ,required a large prime mover tractor to move them. So once you place these large guns, you're stuck with them where they are. The various flavors of 88s take freakin' ever to pack up (~10 minutes or more), so it's probably not something you're going to want to attempt in game very often anyway.

I recently saw some old demonstration footage that would surprise you about the mobility of the 57mm. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Basically, the footage showed a truck towing a 57mm gun, the crew jump out and quickly unhitch the gun, run the gun about 10 meters - set it up by putting boxes under the arms to stabilize it, and quickly fire 3 rounds. The whole process took about 10-15 seconds. This footage was obviously rehersed and the crew was large, maybe 10 men, but it was still an awesome display of how mobile the gun is.

Hi all

having problems with my Anti-tank guns.

i noticed in demo they wouldnt move and when turning to face would slowly turn maybe 2 mins to revolve 180 deg.

thought maybe in full game problem would be resolved but to my horror same bug.

obviously cant hitch to vehicles either :mad:

removed game and reinstalled but still same prob.

any suggestions??

Hi duckEfuzz,

Did you undeploy the ATG? It takes a very, very long time to both undeploy and then to move them, but ATGs can be moved. You'll notice in the unit info box where it says, "Pack Up" and "Deploy" and then some times listed, which IIRC are usually pretty long. Did you wait that long and they still didn't move?

-FMB

thx for replies

i got it figured now, u have to hit the deploy weapon order to un-deploy, then the pack up time, which is displayed in gui, then the gun becomes limbered, THEN you can move at will!!!!!

i'm pleased i found it, not that i'll be moving them in game but its just good to know :D

Smaller ATG's can be pushed around in the game. It takes a looong time tho.

It can work quite well though. One thing I've learned is that (maybe its just me), you get more out of your 57mm guns if you keep them hooked up with the trucks until the situation develops.

Once, long ago (well a couple of weeks ago), I stalked a Panther with a 57mm and it all turned out okay. The truck got the gun close. The Gun was detached and crossed a small field, unlimbered and I put it on area fire at the back of a Panther (it didn't seem like they would actually spot the tank through the hedge, but area fire worked for some reason). 19 shots later the Panther blew up.

Depending on the terrain I also leave the guns limbered to vehicles and as the situation develops I will move the AT guns to where they are most effective which works pretty well so far imo. Iirc the Pak40 does not have a horrible limber/unlimber time so it works pretty good for things like this and having an AT gun in the right spot can be hell for both enemy armor and infantry.