setup performance slow?

Biff

When I bring up the first scenario in CMAK on my laptop, the setup (as Axis) run very, very slowly on my system. If I remove all player aides the game reponds somewhat faster but when I go past the setup to the first actual turn, the game responds reasonable well (well, I can play it). My laptop uses a PIII 850 Mhz, 256MB RAM, Geforce2go 16MB video. Any idea why the setup would cause the game to respond to input much more slowly than the normal turns?

Hi Biff

IMO I have seen that on my laptop with CMBO.. some of delay is the need to draw the added features in setup.. Bases, Setup Zone Lines... also does the secnario open with all options set... i.e. Extreme Weather, Extreme Trees, etc.. also the Horizon can play into it.. question for Kwazy Dog (who by the way is member no 1 at The Proving Grounds) does the game load the setup turn from options loaded in the scenario file and then after loading switch to the options of the latest settings in the game .. i.e. No Weather, No Trees.. I think that would explain it... but I am not sure..

Hey and Kwazy come back an visit once in a while ... your missed

Regards

FredRocker

It seems to me that drawing the setup line is causing the major slow down. In the other CM games I've played I've noticed that if the scenario has a exit zone, displaying the zone causes very slow response time on my laptop. If I turn it off leaving all other graphics at moderate levels, the game responds reasonably quickly.

Which Windows version, which version of DirectX and what 'Go' driver version do you have installed ? What resolution are you running CMAK at ? Are you using any sort of tweaking program for your video ?

Part of the issue may be that you have 16Mb of VRAM and that may be a bit on the minimal side. I don't know what CMAK is doing differently from CMBB when it comes to 'scaling the bitmaps down' (the actual technical phrase escapes me at the moment), but it may be doing less of this than CMBB and thus resulting in slower graphics performance (for 'sharper' bitmaps though).

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Which Windows version, which version of DirectX and what 'Go' driver version do you have installed ? What resolution are you running CMAK at ? Are you using any sort of tweaking program for your video ?

Part of the issue may be that you have 16Mb of VRAM and that may be a bit on the minimal side. I don't know what CMAK is doing differently from CMBB when it comes to 'scaling the bitmaps down' (the actual technical phrase escapes me at the moment), but it may be doing less of this than CMBB and thus resulting in slower graphics performance (for 'sharper' bitmaps though).

I'm using W2K, DirectX v9, Nvidia driver v6.14.01.4345. I run 1024x768. I use no video tweaking program. As I noted, the CMAK perf isn't too bad uless a setup or exist zone is displayed.

Originally posted by Biff:

I'm using W2K, DirectX v9, Nvidia driver v6.14.01.4345. I run 1024x768. I use no video tweaking program. As I noted, the CMAK perf isn't too bad uless a setup or exist zone is displayed. [/QB]

I've found the problem. It was my 4345 level of Nvidia display drivers. I'm now running 5216 and the perf. increase is amazing. CMAK and the other CM games are now much more playable than they had been when I was running 4345.