Specs for Machines for CMX2?

The feature set for CMx2 is still being decided to my knowledge. This of course can affect any recommendations for video, CPU or memory. Therefore there's no definitive specs for CMx2.

My assumption right now is that it will be coded for the OpenGL API on the PC (which is definitely the case for the Mac version). So good OpenGL support for the video chipset is a definite must. However very few laptops quote their OpenGL compatibility/performance (with the rare exception of laptops geared toward Unix and engineers).

OpenGL exists is several versions, much like DirectX. However Windows' support of OpenGL isn't as clear cut. The video drivers are what actually support the different versions of OpenGL (beyond the v. 1.1 support that came with Windows). So your laptop will need a graphics chip that has an OpenGL ICD that's fairly up-to-date. The more 'OpenGL extensions' it supports the better (which generally translates into later versions of OpenGL).

I don't know what OpenGL standard Charles is going to code to. Currently OpenGL 1.5 is the latest standard, but most cards don't have full support for it (it's a fairly new standard). OpenGL 1.4 is a bit more common driver support-wise, but every videocard seems to have a different level of support in their drivers.

DirectX compatibility is a more familiar format for listing a videocard's capabilities. Therefore I'd suggest getting a videocard that supports DirectX 9.x, which most of the latest high-performance videocards do. These would generally be the NVidia GeForce FX Go series or the ATI Radeon 9x00 series (with the exception of the 9000 and 9100). Everything else (especially for a laptop) may be a bit questionable right now. Later on other manufacturers will probably get their DirectX 9.x compatible laptop chipsets out. Right now most of the chipsets out there for laptops (other than ones mentioned) will probably support DirectX 8.1.

If Charles has the time, hopefully there will be more graphic options in CMx2 that will allow a variety of video hardware to run the game (the capability to turn off lighting effects, etc.). But that is far from being determined at this point.

DirectX 9.x differs from previous versions with additional 'lighting & shading' capabilities (often mentioned as Pixel Shader 2.0 and Vertex Shader 2.0) that are just starting to get programmed into games now. By the time of CMx2's release they should be a bit more common. OpenGL has some equivalent routines, especially since it is the professional's choice as a graphics API for 3D rendering.

As far as CPU and memory considerations, the faster the better. CMx2 is definitely going to require more memory for the same sized battles. The LOS calculations will probably be quite a bit more complex and that alone will probably put a significant load on the CPU. Turn crunching will be more processor intensive (more AI variables, etc. in addition to the hit and penetration calcs).

The problem with buying with the future in mind is that you will find similar or greater performance for less price in the future.

Thanks for the detailed answer - those comments are exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Unfortunately there are a class of people like me for whom the timing of purchases like this is not very controllable. I can't wait till CMx2 comes out to see what I need: when I have the treasurer's approval for a new purchase, I have to make the purchase pronto!

:D

GaJ.

How about:

"Your best guess for CMX2 System Specs".

Here's my guess:

ATTENTION - THIS IS JUST MY GUESS!

System Requirements MINIMUM (PC/Mac):

Processor: PC: 1.5GHz Processor (Athlon, Celeron, Pentium4, etc)

Mac: G4

Operating System: PC: Windows 98/ME/XP/2000

Mac: Mac OS 8.6 to 9.xx (OS-X is supported!)

Video Card: 64Mb Video card capable of running in 800x600 resolution or higher.

System Memory: 256Mb of RAM

Hard Drive Space: 3.5 Gigabytes of Hard Drive space required

Other Requirements: CD-ROM Drive

DirectX 9.0b compatible sound and video cards (PC)

28.8 modem or Network/Internet access for multiplayer

System Requirements RECOMMENDED (PC/Mac):

Processor: PC: 2Ghz Processor (Athlon, Celeron, Pentium4, etc)

Mac: G4

Operating System: PC: Windows XP/2000

Mac: Mac OS 8.6 to 9.xx (OS-X is supported!)

Video Card: 128Mb Video card capable of running in 800x600 resolution or higher.

System Memory: 512MB of RAM

Hard Drive Space: 3.5 Gigabytes of Hard Drive space required

Other Requirements: CD-ROM Drive

DirectX 9.0b compatible sound and video cards (PC)

28.8 modem or Network/Internet access for multiplayer

That would be my guess.

I took this format from BFC's own system spec page for CMBB.