How do I move way points?

Count me in as being yet another person who really, really wants moveable waypoints back.

Thoughtful features like this can really add up to an overall polished experience.

The frustration of having to delete and redo all my waypoints and final orders, like facing, target arcs, etc, is just not necessary - especially considering they had the tech to do this 10+ years ago.

"The frustration of having to delete and redo all my waypoints and final orders, like facing, target arcs, etc, is just not necessary - especially considering they had the tech to do this 10+ years ago."

That was different game. That game did not allow plotting of pause, fire orders etc. at way points. I think if you rumage around with the serach tool you'll turn up some threads from CMSF where this subject was done to death and statements from BF that getting moveable way points into CMx2 is on their list of things they want to.

So it might happen one day (in the same way that WEGO TCP/IP, or replay in RT, or pause in two player RT, or any of a dozen requested features might happen one day). Until then we must just continue to be frustrated.

"The frustration of having to delete and redo all my waypoints and final orders, like facing, target arcs, etc, is just not necessary - especially considering they had the tech to do this 10+ years ago."

That was different game. That game did not allow plotting of pause, fire orders etc. at way points. I think if you rumage around with the serach tool you'll turn up some threads from CMSF where this subject was done to death and statements from BF that getting moveable way points into CMx2 is on their list of things they want to.

So it might happen one day (in the same way that WEGO TCP/IP, or replay in RT, or pause in two player RT, or any of a dozen requested features might happen one day). Until then we must just continue to be frustrated.

Yes I know it was a different game, but the fact remains they have the ability to it. I've been playing since the original and have probably logged thousands of hours on these games, and the first time I tried moving a waypoint and couldn't do it, I'm like, "so this is the new engine.. how is this an improvement to my gaming experience?" :confused:

" but the fact remains they have the ability to it"

I think you meant to say, "They had the ability to it on the old engine". You now have other things you can do with a way point that you couldn't in CMx1. Do these new things improve your gaming experience? If so do their benefits outweigh the loss of moveable way points? For me they do, massively, but each to their own.

As and when moveable way points come into CMx2 I shall rejoice, but I ain't holding my breath or letting their absence spoil my games.

" but the fact remains they have the ability to it"

I think you meant to say, "They had the ability to it on the old engine". You now have other things you can do with a way point that you couldn't in CMx1. Do these new things improve your gaming experience? If so do their benefits outweigh the loss of moveable way points? For me they do, massively, but each to their own.

As and when moveable way points come into CMx2 I shall rejoice, but I ain't holding my breath or letting their absence spoil my games.

So wait.. are you saying that you think they just threw the old game away, and started coding a brand new one from scratch? Do you think they lost the secret knowledge of what is involved in letting us move waypoints?

They just didn't include it because they thought it wasn't important enough, presumably since the command delays are gone now.

I too wish for movable waypoints, just like in CMX1, but I guess difficulties for implementation come from live navigation within a true 3D environment, with all that possible single objects within a 8m tile/action spot. There must be a good reason, that BFC did not take this feature over to CMN, me guesses.

If thatÂŽs rather a matter of CPU processor power, then BFC should start to think about support for multiple core environments and maybe PhsyEx as well.

So wait.. are you saying that you think they just threw the old game away, and started coding a brand new one from scratch?

From what I've read, that's almost exactly what they did. Trying to re-employ chunks from an integrated whole in a new modular architecture is tantamount to coding suicide. They kept a lot of the knowledge but since they were starting from scratch with a new engine I don't think they kept any of the code.

... They just didn't include it because they thought it wasn't important enough...

You seem to know what goes on inside the councils of BF and the differences in the code between the two engines and how the new features relating to waypoints would affect the ability to move them.

Alas, I don't have your levels of knowledge and expertise. I might think that if a player has given, fro example, a target order from a waypoint and that waypoint is dragged to another place then something would have to happen about the target order and this would cause complications in the code/UI. Now that you have told me that the only reason moveable waypoints have not been included is bloody-mindedness on behalf of the BF team, I shall up my outrage levels accordingly.

You seem to know what goes on inside the councils of BF and the differences in the code between the two engines and how the new features relating to waypoints would affect the ability to move them.

Alas, I don't have your levels of knowledge and expertise. I might think that if a player has given, fro example, a target order from a waypoint and that waypoint is dragged to another place then something would have to happen about the target order and this would cause complications in the code/UI. Now that you have told me that the only reason moveable waypoints have not been included is bloody-mindedness on behalf of the BF team, I shall up my outrage levels accordingly.

LOL - We are in agreement that moving waypoints would be great, so no need to get snarky and upset with me over an argument you started.

My main point is that there's a reason for everything, and in this case it isn't because the programmers are completely baffled and incapable of figuring it out. :)

C'mon Guys! It's time to move on! Don't look back and don't drag your feet...:D you can't anyway!

I mean, in CMX1 you had those handy way points that were draggable, but to a limit: anyway, conforming to some properly thought limit you were able to move a bit those waypoints, so for example if you had some tanks using a country road, you were able to prevent them jamming the middle of the road, and stack the waypoints properly on that same road, even after the AI calculated all the way to the target (usually in a big messy movement) you were able to carelessly point in the first place.

From what I've seen: the movements' paths are still the same mess if you do not place accurately each and every waypoint, and consequently it is time consuming, and if you make mistakes you have to start it all over again... Not a brilliant choice IMO.

BTW another missing Movement action was the Hull Down and the Scoot and Shoot, quite essential and handy commands to use for tanks and armored vehicles... For the second one now you have to place Hunt and Reverse commands, but the first one is quite challenging when you do not have the periscope perception of the tank driver... or am I missing something?

As some of you have pointed out, it may be possible that coding these in the new engine may be a challenging task, but I believe not so much more difficult than it was in CMX1.

My 2cents