ME or Probe Rarity is a must..

It's too easy to pick one armored recon platoon and then stack the artillery with brummbar's and let it shoot for 26 minutes all 80 or 160 rounds..

Even on loose rarity, it's easy to set that scenario up..

now, when I play PBEM, I make a point of saying no death barrages, but if the player chooses 14 inch guns and waits 19 minutes to get them on station, well.. then your human wave crack weapons battalion with overwhelming firepower is.. well.... sitting in shell craters.

I played a short QB today by myself to test the theory.. on a small map with a small force, against a crack airborne infantry company (well 2 companies.. I gave them more points), and I outfitted myself with a one armored recon element and the brummbar... and I just sat there and redirected artillery from the opening barrage until they were all dead.. and then I just mopped up.

I would think a human player would hole up, and range the fire, but still.. it's like fighting with lots of noise and "rattled" troops.. no fun.

Now I understand the outlandish rarity points when it's on strict.. makes sense to me now.

the heavy arty is called MRs18 210mm "brummbar" or something like this.. the 210 mm? that's the one I was referring to..

also, pre-planned vs. trp? I'm not sure I get the difference? I mean, what stops a player from just pre-planning a barrage from the initial start, and then adjust all day long with 27 minutes of cannon fire? seems like a no-brainer to me.

.. shouldn't the same rules apply for pre-planned? If you can't see them, can't shoot them? And TRP are only used after setup?, with all the frustration of getting big guns on station?

I started playing QBs with "no Rarity" option but found that time after time as a German defender on a smallish map I was hit. initially by map-wide repeated barrages of U.S. rockets, which often decimated my defending units before the engagement started.

On examining the US Artillery OOB I noticed how very cheap the Rocket purchases were compared with all the other arty U.S and German.

The only way to prevent this (if the pts pricing is realistic and correct) is to impose the Standard Rarity option which substantially reduces the extensive purchase of these rocket bombardments which seem to me to destroy the credibility of such engagements.

So I have now been converted to support the "Rarity" factor for these reasons.

the heavy arty is called MRs18 210mm "brummbar" or something like this.. the 210 mm? that's the one I was referring to..

Might mean this? I was also under the impression that the Germans had a more mobile piece in that caliber, but I may have been mistaken as I have not been able to track it down with a quick look around and the book I used to have that listed it is gone.

Michael

This is the one Michael,

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_cm_M%C3%B6rser_18

Oh, and the US rocket artillery. At the current price I´d say they are banned in any QB game I play. Even the one with the lowest rarity. What is that 50-80 points for 320 or 384 4.5 inch rockets. Inaccurate yes, but in an infantry only scenario they can cause absolute devastation.

M.

.. shouldn't the same rules apply for pre-planned? If you can't see them, can't shoot them?

Map-registered artillery should be able to fire anywhere they've got the range to reach. It occurs to me, though, that it should be subject to error/inaccuracies of maps/vagaries of weather and chance, unless some sort of spotting (and the spotting rounds assigned) or pre-registration is available to make sure it's accurate. Perhaps somewherre between "Emergency" CEP, and the FFE of accurately spotted fire.