Cable Modem Networking Question.

Ok we just got a Roadrunner cable connection here. we have two computers. One has the cable modem setup and the other doesn't. I want to network the modems so the second computer can take advantage of the faster internet connection.

I know I will need some coaxial cable, splitters for the cable, T10 line or something of that sort,(can't remember the name at the moment), with the appropriate connectors on the ends, and an ethernet card. But do I need a hub or can I use the cheaper router? Or (Gasp!) do I need both? Usually i can think my way around this kinda thing but until Wensday I had never even spied a cable modem.

I did find out that I just can't patch into the cable with my own cable modem and ethernet card because the modem's address has to be registered with the service provider for it to work. Or so that is what they told me.

So any advice or answers would be very appreciated. Schrullenhaft you out there? LOL.

Mord.

[ July 20, 2002, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

All you need is a router with a built in switch, NICs for each computer and enough Ethernet cable.

Nevermind the coax splicing, hook up the cable modem to the router then all the cpus to the router's switch, then follow the router's manufacturer's instruction on programming your account info into the router and off you go.

(A few extra steps there, but it's not that hard)

Gyrene

Thanks for the Info Gyrene.

Couple more questions now. What does NIC stand for, just so I know if I have them already or not? And How many inputs will I need on the router 2 or more? I am running a PC btw will that make any difference with the above instructions? I tried getting some help at Staples when I was pricing the routers and Netcards but didn't get too many clear answers and the guy even had Roadrunner. One last question. Will the second computer travel fast on the net when the other computer is not on at the same time? I mean the routing process won't have any effect on the bit rate will it?

Thanks,

Mord.

NIC=Network interface card. Look for what looks like a big phone jack.

I would advise getting a 4 port router, as they cost little more than the 2 port variety and will give you some expansion options.

Routing should have no effect on speed--the internet is alot slower than the internal network for all intents and purposes.

WWB

Thanks WWB. I am hoping that the NICs are the samething as the Ethernet cards. Is this correct?

If so then all I need to buy is one more ethernet card, the router and the ethernet line long enough to reach between the two computers.

Mord.

Ok I have been to a couple internet sites now reading up on networking these cable modems and am getting confused.

How many ethernet cards do I need for the two computers? One site is saying I need three. Two for the host computer and one for the computer that is being setup to share the connection. I was assuming I only needed two all together so now I am scratching my head.

I am heading out to the store in a short while and need to know exactly what I need to buy. One comp is completely setup and on the net via cable. What do I need for the second comp? Ethernet card (only 1 I hope), Router, and ethernet line? Is that all I need?

Mord.

[ July 20, 2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

Correct. In this case a Network Interface Card would be an Ethernet card (which is basically just a type of network interface).

Basically you need an ethernet card in each computer, your cable modem, the router and three ethernet cables. Do you know if your cable modem is external or internal ? An internal one may pose problems since it may be geared towards hooking up only one computer.

With an external cable modem the ethernet cables will all be hooked up to the router. One will go to the cable modem (which will be hooked up to your cable provider's cable), and the other two will be hooked up to the other computers. The cable won't be strung computer-to-computer, but instead will all hook up to the router. The cable modem may have a specific port to hook up to on the router, so you'll want to check for that.

If your cable modem is internal then you'll want to look closely at RoadRunner's instructions for hooking up more than one computer.

[ July 20, 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Hey, cool, thanks Schrull.

Yeah, the modem is external. So I will need what at the minimum for inputs on the router 3? And from what I gathered make sure there is a switch on it and that it has NAT?

I am hoping there will be a minimum amount of setup as far as software, and messing around in windows goes. I am not interested in sharing files and printers with the other computer just the NET.

Ok hopefully I can figure this out now.

Mord.

P.S please if there is anything else I should know post quickly I am heading out in about 15 minutes.

Hi guys. I got everything hooked up but when I try and run Road Runner on my comp during the install I get this error message.

Tcp/IP Networking Error

There is one network adapter in the system and it is configured for DHCP but it is unable to release/renew IP Address.

Ok does anybody know what the hell this means and how to rectify it. I have checked everything I can and can't figure it out. Both ethernet cards are running without an conflicts, modem is working correctly for host computer, and the switch I bought is reading all connections to it.

Please any help would be great!!

Thanks Mord.

P.s I will be refreshing my ass off waiting so if there are any questions I will answer promptly.

[ July 20, 2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

I think you're going to need NAT to get more than one computer running. You'll probably need to box up the switch to return it for a 2 or 4 port router (which should have NAT, DHCP and preferably switching functionality). Some cable modems actually have some of these capabilities built-in, but probably not most of the ones offered by the large Cable/DSL companies.

The switch alone unfortunately won't work with sharing the internet connection. You could manually set your IP addresses on the computers (following the instructions for a single computer in the RoadRunner documentation). However I believe that both of the computers would end up having the same IP address (unless the Cable modem has some sort of NAT functionality if it does then your switch could work), in which case only one computer could be on and hooked up (to the switch at least). If both of them were on and hooked up to the switch you would get a warning that there are duplicate IP addresses on the network. NAT allows you to have an 'internal network' with unique IP addresses for each computer that isn't seen by the outside world. This would allow you to communicate with other computers in an internal network at home and access the internet through the router. The rest of the world only sees your external IP address for both computers.

Sorry none of us were here in time to help with your purchase. I personally use an 8 port Router from Linksys - BEFSR81 (though oother brands are fine too) and they make some 4 port models too. You can even deny Internet access to certain IP addresses (if you had to punish a child by taking the Internet away for awhile).

Thanks for the info again Schrull. I goofed up when I bought the switch, lol because I had switch in my head as far as the router went and. Though the guy I talked to said it would work.

I have gotten past the error message above but now am having a problem getting a ping from the net.

Thanks again.

Mord.

Are you running any kind of firewall software ? This could block the PING command. Have you checked out the documentation for your cable modem. Some of these (though rare) may have some firewall security features too.

Lastly (assuming that you're having problems making any connections with your cable modem), you'll want to make sure that all of the appropriate lights are lit up on the cable modem. When I first got mine it took awhile for the installation to go right (wrong punchdown, cable modem not registered with carrier, etc.). Hopefully you have a modem that gives you an external status on your connection (cable connection, ethernet interface connection, power, etc.). If the modem isn't registered you may get a 'ranging' response from the modem where it can't connect.