Naval Guns

WOW. I was messing around in the editor and decided to add in the big guns for the hell of it on the crossroads scenario. Six BB's turned st. Martins farm, the crossroads and the bocage area to the north east to big holes. The barrage was still running when the Germans surrendered. Completely nuts, I love it

I'd never heard of this one, so it got my curiosity up and I found this page with a movie on it. Must have taken a couple of days to emplace. The shell leaves one hell of a big crater.

Michael

Yeah......hardly an on-the-fly tactical weapon.

"Sarge, there's an enemy HMG in that house on the corner".

"Never mind soldier, in a couple of days we can take out the entire block with one shot!"

WOW. I was messing around in the editor and decided to add in the big guns for the hell of it on the crossroads scenario. Six BB's turned st. Martins farm, the crossroads and the bocage area to the north east to big holes. The barrage was still running when the Germans surrendered. Completely nuts, I love it

Does anyone have some figures on the spread of both individual and successive salvos? If a BB lets loose with 6/9 barrels, typically how close do they land to each other? Given the distance and wave action, how close is the next salvo to the first?

Does anyone have some figures on the spread of both individual and successive salvos? If a BB lets loose with 6/9 barrels, typically how close do they land to each other? Given the distance and wave action, how close is the next salvo to the first?

In 1944 a typical battleship main gun salvo pattern was about ~2% of range. e.g. at 10,000 yards you would expect the shells to land within 200 yards of each other. For a ship firing at a fixed distance towards a land target that's about the spread you would expect for successive salvos.