Tiger Mealtime Position

Charles looked into this and there is a problem that will be fixed with v1.01. As suspected a few pages ago, the deck armor for the front most part of the tank was too thin. Should be 62mm. The funny thing is Charles tried to find this data (CMx1 didn't simulate it directly) and couldn't find anything to confirm the thickness. So he punted and went with the same number as was used elsewhere on the tank's deck. Since it is nearly flat (i.e. highly sloped) straight on shots had very little chance of penetrating. But when you turn the tank juuuuust right, shots now have a good chance of penetrating where before they didn't.

Or something like that :D

Steve

This would mean the glacis plate was modeled at only 25mm think. That would do it :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the gap I talked about?

I think the show was "Greatest Tank Battles" and it was the Battle of the Bulge episode and this tanker was talking about his aim point, which was the space in between the turret and chassis, that was a "known" weak spot on the Tiger... he claims to have hit it and rendered the tank inoperable..

The whole episode is on youtube.. Here is the first part.. but there is a vinnette about this somewhere in that episode.. no time to watch the whole thing again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJfEeULB5M

"There is a 10-mm slit all around the base of the turret. AT gun and heavy machine-gun fire, effectively directed at this slit, will prevent the turret from revolving and thus seriously impair the tank's field of fire. Furthermore, hits by HE shell at the base of the turret may wreck the roof of the hull and put the tank out of action."

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt_tigervulnerability/index.html

Keep in mind that CM does not model aimed shots on tanks, so any hits on weak areas will be a happy coincidence.

Vanir - are you defining the glacis plate as the near-horizontal plate sandwiched between the plate with the driver's visor and hull MG on the one hand, and the lower front hull plate on the other? Just trying to clarify.

Yes, although I don't know if that is the proper term for it. The game calls it the "upper front hull".

These German tanks, with their many forward hull sections and angles, are not so easy to define and that has undoubtedly caused confusion here and elsewhere. Then too, the terminology is coming from a half-dozen directions: Hull and deck are terms held over from maritime lingo, glacis and mantlet come from medieval armor terminology and then we have all the terms common to ordnance and ballistics. It is an advanced education just grasping what is being talked about. At least I've been reading about this stuff for 50 years...I feel bad for newbies. :D

Charles looked into this and there is a problem that will be fixed with v1.01.

So there was something wrong with the game. Have that Bastables. Have that.

Normally I see forum feuds and fully grown men arguing over trivial matters as ridiculous, but after your reaction to what I wrote, reading this is so satisfying.

Aaah, an internet victory over someone I will never meet in real life....:rolleyes: lmao

ok, now you whinin' german players can be happy you have your invincible tiger back. well in the first patch anyway. i really believe bfc was just trying to give the americans a chance for the m10s to knock out a tiger once in awhile, but leave it to the grogs that test everything (and i mean everything!) to blow the curve.... thanks anyway bfc! :-p

ok, now you whinin' german players can be happy you have your invincible tiger back. well in the first patch anyway. i really believe bfc was just trying to give the americans a chance for the m10s to knock out a tiger once in awhile, but leave it to the grogs that test everything (and i mean everything!) to blow the curve.... thanks anyway bfc! :-p

Yup.

And the rarity points value for Tiger I just went to 10,000 points each.

Enjoy!