New file at the Repository: No Exit (2011-06-05)

Now that's tight. I understand the priority is to attack before daylight. Just start the attack earlier. :) The time is the biggest factor for me in this scenario. It forced me to push faster than was safe, so it was a blood bath. There is so may Germans jammed packed on that map, its going to take time to put fire down, flank, suppress and overwhelm them. I did really enjoy the way the sun came up and changed the LOS dynamic completely.

Lookey, if you are/were able to pull this scenario off in RT in any fashion at all... you are a CM god in my book. ;)

I could not imagine playing anything I would make in RT without paramedics on hand to restart my heart.

It IS a tad crowded, since I tried to keep the map size to what I assumed was a good 'medium' size, while having the force I wanted(Company with support and attachments).

Mistake one. :)

I was also working under the erroneous assumption that C2 wouldn't reach as far as it does.

Mistake two.

I didn't want to start over, as I would have had to remake all four circular ramps to enlarge them. I was in "kid at xmas' mode and wanted to get my first one out.

I will do better on the next one in regards to force/map size.

And to make certain.. all my battles are geared towards PBEM, as that is all I have ever played(CM1). The "Bloodbath/Kobiyashi Maru" feel I tend to generate just doesn't translate well if there is no depth of force/reserves.

Hope it is being enjoyed.

-

Lookey, if you are/were able to pull this scenario off in RT in any fashion at all... you are a CM god in my book. ;)

-

Nope. just a draw. Enemy had too many tanks in the bush.:D I did get em all. And i had 3 left. so it would have been a matter of time, going on the AAR. was minutes from taking the overwatch position in the middle. the right side was a nightmare. Definitely return later.

I suppose you could play 'semi-turned based' and hit pause every minute to give orders to everyone. :D

You could also go into the editor and change the variable end time from 5 to 15 minutes. It may give you just enough time to do the job.

Adding time and altering plans for RT play is something I am looking into for my next scenario. A little more room, a few less mobile units to watch over. I will release two versions that will be labeled accordingly for turn-based or RT.

It will be a priority to find a way to make an enjoyable company level combined-arms RT battle. Just because I couldn't handle the strain doesnt mean some of you younger whipper-snappers that grew up with controllers in your hands won't be able to. ;)

Valley of the Shadow, Heartbreak Ridge, Dam You, and Meatgrinder maps are all in progress. Not sure which will be finished first.

Any other input is more than welcome, it's needed. :D

-

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just finished an H2H game on the scenario and I just loved it (playing WEGO over PBEM). I liked the US force composition a lot, very flexible and able to implement a wide variety of plans. The result was this one:

finalnoexit.png

Very intense fighting along the highway, especially on the overpass. At the end of the battle there were quite a few destroyed vehicles there:

losdesastresdelaguerrai.png

My opponent also enjoyed the battle a lot and reported that his most advanced units had ran out of ammo.

The only problem with it is that you uncovered a curious bug: my opponent tried to get one to cross under the overpass bridge and as it was getting below the bridge arch - presto! - it appeared on top of the bridge scaring the daylights out of several of my units (literally, some recon teams went from OK to Nervous).

Glad you enjoyed it. ;)

That is one huge casualty count for both sides. You guys pushed 'em hard. I like that.

A question re: this quote...

"The only problem with it is that you uncovered a curious bug: my opponent tried to get one to cross under the overpass bridge and as it was getting below the bridge arch - presto! - it appeared on top of the bridge scaring the daylights out of several of my units (literally, some recon teams went from OK to Nervous)."

One what? A tank? I was aware that in CM1 vehicles would pop bridges that way, but I (wrongly it seems) assumed this was no longer the case... and forgot to test for it.

Which arch? A center or one of the two ramped edges?

I will do some testing when I get home from holiday road trip. If this is a steady-state bug, I will destroy the other overpass as well and release a new version.

Again, thank you for making it :)

That is one huge casualty count for both sides. You guys pushed 'em hard. I like that.

I think I pushed too hard, too early.

In perspective, I dashed forward a bit too recklessly, and the screen of scouts, AT teams and MGs suffered from the concentrated fire of German infantry. Another major blunder on my behalf was that I didn't read well the situation, and kept the bulk of my infantry for too long duking it out at distance with German fire positions. The third and probably the most important error was to forget that US half-tracks don't have crew, so until the late stages of the battle I couldn't bear to the front the fire power of the .50 mini-cannons they have: my infantry formations have to provide the gunners!

One what? A tank? I was aware that in CM1 vehicles would pop bridges that way, but I (wrongly it seems) assumed this was no longer the case... and forgot to test for it.

Which arch? A center or one of the two ramped edges?

It was a Puma, and yes, the one in the center.

If this is a steady-state bug, I will destroy the other overpass as well and release a new version.

A pity, because the one intact overpass was hard-fought by our infantry. I enjoyed that fight, probably because I could even deploy a MG on the other side and fry a good number of pixeltruppen.