Problems With Graphics Card

Just recently purchased a GeForce FX 5200 (dodgy budget card, I know) and I can't seem to get any games to run. I've hit it up with the latest drivers, some earlier drivers and the drivers that came with the box. I've got drivers and patches up the yin yang but games keep crashing after a few short minutes play, CMBB after a couple of turns, Quake 3 after 2 or 3 minutes and Operation Flashpoint after a few seconds.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is my card busted? Should I get a refund and purchase a more expensive card with a little more fruit under the bonnet?

Thanks for your help.

Not a great card, but you should list the rest of your system specs so that we can troubleshoot the problem. What graphics card did you have in previously - did it work okay? Change anything else recently? What motherboard are you running, does it support AGP X4 or X8? Are you overclocking your system?

Hpt. Lisse

Thanks for the replies.

However I had noticed at startup that my system failed the memory test, so I opened it up and it turns out my ram stick wasn't stuck quite the way in. Jammed it in there real good and things have been sweet ever since. Still thinking about getting a ti4800 though.

Originally posted by Monks:

Thanks for the replies.

However I had noticed at startup that my system failed the memory test, so I opened it up and it turns out my ram stick wasn't stuck quite the way in. Jammed it in there real good and things have been sweet ever since. Still thinking about getting a ti4800 though.

If you are a die hard CM fanatic, like myself, you would be better off with a TI4600 4X only. With 30.82 and 30.87 drivers this card plays CM clean and is plenty fast.

If you are more concerned with flight sims or FPS games that you may have and CM is an afterthought, than there are annoying work-arounds to the driver problems when you play CM.

Whatever card you end up getting, good luck!

Originally posted by Monks:

Thanks for the replies.

I had a ti4800 8X AGP card, EVGA, and dumped it in favor of a Chaintech ti4600 4X AGP. No work-arounds for CM and it plays any other game I feel like playing from time to time just fine.

128mb memory - 350mhz processor on the card. The card is great and can be gotten now for under $150.00. I've seen them for as little as $120.00 lately.

The power buy of the month is eVGA' non-Ultra FX5900, which goes for under $200 on pricewatch. I've had this card for the past two months, and love it - it's a big step up from the 5200/5600 family, with it's 256 bit pipeline. Please note that older non-FX drivers don't really work with these cards, so the 30.82 and 30.87 drivers are out of reach. Of course, Alt-Tab once at the beginning of any battle isn't vexing me too much, either.

Hpt. Lisse

Originally posted by Hpt. Lisse:

The power buy of the month is eVGA' non-Ultra FX5900, which goes for under $200 on pricewatch. I've had this card for the past two months, and love it - it's a big step up from the 5200/5600 family, with it's 256 bit pipeline. Please note that older non-FX drivers don't really work with these cards, so the 30.82 and 30.87 drivers are out of reach. Of course, Alt-Tab once at the beginning of any battle isn't vexing me too much, either.

Hpt. Lisse

That is a good price for that card!