Help with first mission of Panzer Marsch

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. You're given a single squad split up into teams, 4 Halftracks, and 2 Armored Cars. I tried splitting up the teams and having them scout by themselves slowly through the hedges. They died without seeing what shot them. I tried moving the armored cars slowly into the center, they died without seeing what shot them.

Then I tried moving the infantry and armor in together at the center point. I managed to get sight on the AT gun and a squad or two, and suppress the AT gun so it didn't instantly kill all my vehicles, but then my squad was continuously killed by enemies behind hedges that I couldn't' see. The whole point of the mission is to recon the enemy forces but they never actually show up to my spotting. If i sit behind a hedge for a long time they never get spotted. if I move out from behind the hedge, the units die and the enemies still don't get spotted.

What am I doing wrong? (playing on warrior difficulty btw).

Best results are to have the scout cars disembark their crews becuase they have binocs. Slow them around with very small covered arcs and they will get most of the job done. Then get the hell out of there!

small covered arks? You mean target arcs? From where? Behind the hedge?

I didn't think of disembarking the armored cars.

Yeah, I did the same as you. Not really keen on this mission, the concept is good but it doesn't work very well here imo. My advice would be to not worry too much about getting a good score or doing it right. Just use it to find where a couple of enemy positions are for the next mission then withdraw.

small covered arks? You mean target arcs? From where? Behind the hedge?

Yep, thats it. Small here means like 3m. These are recon guys, not combat infantry. Just place them on the colored location and have them sit there until say 10 minutes left. Remember to use SLOW for the last 1-2 actionspots to get in position at the bocage.

Then simply withdraw. You should get contacts while the us forces are patrolling the area(or whatever they do there...). This will net you a tactical victory IIRC.

Yeah, I did the same as you. Not really keen on this mission, the concept is good but it doesn't work very well here imo. My advice would be to not worry too much about getting a good score or doing it right. Just use it to find where a couple of enemy positions are for the next mission then withdraw.

I agree, started this a few days ago. I found it easy to make the locations and get a good score but you are not going to spot much. If you try crossing the road with the infantry, you will likely only get shot and have a general feel for where the enemy is.

I did manage to move the cars and halftracks up to support the troops once they scouted areas out for them. So I blasted the hedgerows with area fire where troops had been shot from.

In the end, I meet all the touch area objectives, did not get any spotting of enemy troops. only had 5 wounded player and managed to kill 2 enemy soilders. I came away from it with a point advantage, few losses and a general clue as to where troops are dug in but no clue as to what or how many. I thought it reminded me of real live scouting missions.

Next battle I am just in the early stages and you can bet I have been hitting them likely locations with arty. I cannot wait to see what I might find back there when my forces finally do go through.

Yep, thats it. Small here means like 3m. These are recon guys, not combat infantry. Just place them on the colored location and have them sit there until say 10 minutes left. Remember to use SLOW for the last 1-2 actionspots to get in position at the bocage.

Then simply withdraw. You should get contacts while the us forces are patrolling the area(or whatever they do there...). This will net you a tactical victory IIRC.

Place them in the colored areas and wait. Like, behind the hedges? I didn't think you could see through the hedges?

I agree, started this a few days ago. I found it easy to make the locations and get a good score but you are not going to spot much. If you try crossing the road with the infantry, you will likely only get shot and have a general feel for where the enemy is.

I did manage to move the cars and halftracks up to support the troops once they scouted areas out for them. So I blasted the hedgerows with area fire where troops had been shot from.

In the end, I meet all the touch area objectives, did not get any spotting of enemy troops. only had 5 wounded player and managed to kill 2 enemy soilders. I came away from it with a point advantage, few losses and a general clue as to where troops are dug in but no clue as to what or how many. I thought it reminded me of real live scouting missions.

Next battle I am just in the early stages and you can bet I have been hitting them likely locations with arty. I cannot wait to see what I might find back there when my forces finally do go through.

finished the second battle, score 1000 to 3, that was much better than the first mission. Lost 2 solders and had 4 wounded. crushed the allied defences and boy did the arty work. especially the 150, nothing but dead soilders where I dropped that at.

That is one thing I like about the game now, youcan preregister your arty. have it come in on target and when you feel it has done the job or your troops are in place, you can now cancel the mission , save some ammo. and do other things with it. I always hated the old system where you had to use it all.