Assault Command Needs a Fix

It's been mentioned before, but the Assault command penalty is either going to mean that the ASSAULT button ends up as a the 'lazy man's attack' button, or else be completely ignored.

Only the actual team experiencing heavy incoming fire should suffer the effects of suppression, rather than the whole squad. As this problem doesn't happen when you manually split squads, you really shouldn't be penalised for selecting the ASSAULT command either.

Also, would it be reasonable to include an 'Attack' command for units within a few meters of a fortified position? You know.. Bayonet's on, war cries etc. I think CM1 had something like this?

I hardly ever used the assault command in CMSF, almost allways splitting my squads into teams.

I've started using it more and more in CMBN though, its just learning when to use it. Main advantage i seem to find is that if the assault element spots a target the rest of the squad usually spots it too.

In addition to what Jonny said, assault order is good together a "Target" command, since soldier on the same Squad/Team are not subject to friendly fire.

If you manually split the squad, AFAIK, the assault team could be hit by the fire team (especially if they are using bazookas or grenade launchers).

it would be cool if in future we could get a command that simulates what "advance" did in CMx1, i.e. guys advancing in dash & duck leaps. i guess "assault" is supposed to do it, but the leaps are far too long and done with whole teams at a time (and of course applies only to squads). currenly i "have to" advance the individual teams with a gazillion of tiny movement orders and it's "a bit" tedious when i am advancing with multiple platoons. though i admit that in game terms i could just go "quick" with 50-100 meter leaps, but my eyes bleed whenever i do it (so i just roleplay and go with the gazillion of tiny orders approach).

In addition to what Jonny said, assault order is good together a "Target" command, since soldier on the same Squad/Team are not subject to friendly fire.

If you manually split the squad, AFAIK, the assault team could be hit by the fire team (especially if they are using bazookas or grenade launchers).

Hi,

You can use target light to avoid friendly fire.

If you use the assault command and the target command you can suffer friendly fire too I thnik. At least on CMSF happened.

S!

Only the actual team experiencing heavy incoming fire should suffer the effects of suppression, rather than the whole squad. As this problem doesn't happen when you manually split squads, you really shouldn't be penalised for selecting the ASSAULT command either.

I read somewhere that they'd fixed this unintended consequence of Assault so the supporting team isn't suppressed by fire at the advancing team...

URC and Renaud are pretty close to the mark with the length of the hops. I usually split up my squads when attacking but if I am playing a large-ish mission and don't want all the hassle of micro-manging huge numbers of split squads, I issue Assault orders in short hops and that works just fine. Three Assault commands of 50m is better than one command of 150m. It takes longer to carry out but most of the time, you're doing this in the face of the enemy.

Three Assault commands of 50m is better than one command of 150m. It takes longer to carry out but most of the time, you're doing this in the face of the enemy.

Agreed.

I've found 50m bounds per squad works well with assault command.

More work to use, but worth the effort (less casualties).