Surrender?

I have to say that I think the way surrendering woks in CM2 is a much better compromise. When troops surrender someone actually has to take them into custody. If a couple of guys in one fox hole drop their weapons and put up their arms that does not mean that the guys 100m away have given up and therefore no one can get to the guys who want to surrender to take their weapons and search them yet. If some officer crawls up to their position and gets them sorted and they pick up their weapons again I am fine with that. It seems pretty reasonable to me. Don't forget any guys that surrendered but then changed their minds are not exactly in top form any more. But if that does not happen then they just disappear off the battle field once they are sufficiently cut off. BFC have abstracted out prisoner management just like they abstracted out med evac. They kept in simple first aid. No one has to micromanage ambulances moving wounded around or MPs collecting POWs and moving them to the rear. The weird CM1 thing where you had to manage the POWs for the rest of the game just added useless micro management that I am glad to be rid of personally.

I have a couple guys in a current battle who were starting to surrender. I was able to put a Coy HQ team and a HQ support team adjacent. I have gone several turns now trying to talk these guys down from the ledge, but I think the only way I am going to get them back is by driving off the enemy that I know is nearby.

Yeah I'd say I am happy with things the way they are. Not interested in playing CM:MP duty or CM:Medic. Just my worthless two cents.

My point was that there are aspects of CM2 that are very detailed and others are glossed over. So we have this detail that surrendered troops can pick up their weapons and fight again...

Ah. It's a language problem.

Surrendering troops have not surrendered yet. Surrendering during a combat engagement is not a simple matter to achieve without getting shot by the people you're trying to surrender to. It takes time and caution to get past the language barrier. Troops are trained in how to safely surrender. When the pTruppen are sitting there "hande hoch", they are trying to surrender, guaging whether it's safe to edge out of their cover, whether these agressive fellers with guns are convinced of the surrendering intent, and will give them the chance to give up.

They have not yet surrendered.

Once they have surrendered, the white flag waves and they are gone. But until that point, it's possible that they can be relieved.

Your confusion appears to be with the present and past participles of the verb "to surrender". The troop status "Surrendering" means the pTruppen are "in the process of giving up", not that their surrender has been accepted by the enemy pTruppen in their vicinity.

Btw: I regularly have enemy surrendering in my games. Am I playing it wrong?

No. Why would you think you were? How many per battalion though? It's a miniscule number compared to the number of pTruppen rendered casualty, I'll warrant.

The troop status "Surrendering" means the pTruppen are "in the process of giving up" ...

... or "are offering their surrender." You might also think of it as the worst possible morale state. Even lower, perhaps, than Panic. The next step down for troops offering surrender is to become a statistic.