Railroad Double Track & Bridges

On straight lines top-down double track can be layed easily. diagonally its a bit ugly and there are no double track bridges. any plans to change this? eg like the highway tiles?

would it also be possible to get a semi-destroyed railroad bridge where infantry still can cross (but slowly)?

post-7195-14186762287_thumb.jpg

This would of course be nice but I wouldn't count on it changing, at least not until the Market Garden module where we are supposed to get some new terrain types. Does any one know if the railroad bridge across the Rhine at Arhem was single track or double track?

the Bridge on the Maas near arnem is single track. The actual road bridge across arnem is single span double side walk. I marched across that one in the 4 day marches with my unit.

on the subject of bridges, here's a pic of something you won't see in the game. It doesn't work but look good.

overpass.jpg

Its been rebuilt but I couldn't say for sure. Hard to find info. My guess single. The bridge element in the game was designed for water under it. Put land under it and guys drop through from the top or float up trying to pass under.

You can place bridges over land and create underpasses that can be used by infantry and vehicles. The above might pose problems because of the sharp cliffs coming together in a vee at the bottom, but then it looks like an awfully tight fit in general.

Main problem with underpasses is that most bridges have a supporting column in the center, so it looks odd when infantry go under and walk right through the column. I also still occasionally see a vehicle pop over the top.

A mistake a lot of people are making with bridge movement in general is placing waypoints on the bridge rather than on both sides. This confuses the AI.

Main problem with underpasses is that most bridges have a supporting column in the center, so it looks odd when infantry go under and walk right through the column.

Also, the supports of the steel railroad bridge could give the unwary map designer some troubles since they end up in the middle of the tiles instead of at the edges.

0L3W0.jpg

Not at all related, but I just found out that the maximum height of a bridge is 20 m.