Some thoughts on set up zones

The set up zones in QB's, for me seem to be mostly too small for my side and for the ai too close to my own.

First one I played was quite a large village map,took ages setting out the battalion of infantry I was given (squeeze up there boys) and the enemy were in the next hedge line 100mtrs from my start line,

I feel that the size of map and room to manouvere is nulified, as my force's start out on top of each other and don't even get the chance to "shake out " into their formations because the enemy always seem to be around the first corner.

I'm not saying this should never happen but so far it seems to happen more so than not. I will say I haven't played enough to know this to be fact but was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

It's going to be entirely dependent on the mapmaker's desires and prejudices since all the maps and AI plans are hand built. Some will have generous deployment zones and a buffer to scout across. Others will be more in media res. There aren't any rules mapbuilders have to abide by.

I agree that some maps have a rather small setup area for the attacker. It leads to the danger of exploits - especially in PBEM. You can fairly easily guess where the attacker has to deploy, and drop some prep arty on the spot(s). Easily overcome by a "houserule" not to use first turn artillery though.

Other solutions are picking a small battle, and a large map, or opening the map in the battle editor and changing the setup area....

I agree that some maps have a rather small setup area for the attacker. It leads to the danger of exploits - especially in PBEM. You can fairly easily guess where the attacker has to deploy, and drop some prep arty on the spot(s). Easily overcome by a "houserule" not to use first turn artillery though.

Other solutions are picking a small battle, and a large map, or opening the map in the battle editor and changing the setup area....

Yeah, this is the biggest problem with small set up zones. Unavoidable first turn artillery on all of your forces is a bit silly. Have to admit I couldn't resist doing it to my friend who didn't know it was possible yet, he wasn't very happy. :D