AI and dismounted tanks

I just played a QB and noticed something strange about how the AI works. I had a Stug that spotted a Sherman that wasn't moving and not rotating its turret either. Its hatch was open so I assumed it had been abandoned. When I selected this tank, it didn't show any damaged status like Destroyed.

I could give the Stug a target order, but it wouldn't shoot. If I switched the target to a destroyed M20 nearby, the Stug wouldn't shoot at it either. Instead it suddenly saw the Sherman as dangerous enemy unit and started reversing. If I targeted the Sherman again, then my Stug no longer feared it (I could move close to the Sherman), but wouldn't shoot either.

I pressed Cease Fire to see what the situation of the mystery Sherman was and its status was Dismounted.

So: why wouldn't my Stug shoot and destroy this dismounted tank? And why did it sometime view the tank as a threat (started reversing) and sometimes harmless (made no defensive actions) depending on which unit I targeted?