I like my tanks dirty

Yes, I know what you mean I'm right there with you. I've started some weathering work in photoshop; loads of sand, scratches and dirt going on. So far only for the vehicles in my desert "Unser Rommel" Deutsches Afrikakorps DAK mod I'm working on though, not Normandy theatre. So I'm also wondering if anyone's thinking of weathering up those Normandy tanks, especially on the German side! I thought the Shermans looked OK though. Actually here's an idea I've been thinking of... if there's no way we can physically pile a load of heavy foliage and bushes on top of our panzers in the form of 3d objects, then maybe just drawing some tree branches and bushes on the textures might go half way to fixing that? Just an idea... though in practice I'm thinking it'd look awful :)

A pity we can't add some proper foliage to those German tanks to make them look right for Normandy... or can we?

I think i remember people saying that adding foliage to vehicles was very hard or impossible to do in CMBO back in the day. Even though i'm no modder, this might mean it became even harder with the more complex models of CMN.

You're right btw. It's mostly the German vehicles that need some mud splashed onto them. The Tiger looks ok, but the Panther and Stugs look like they had a paintjob minutes before battle :).

Mind you, a freshly painted panzer is still something to behold...

edit: what we need is some of the people who are into 1:35 WW2 diorama's. The weathering those guys can produce is beyond brilliant and just screams to be translated to CMN.

Bear in mind most of what passes for 'hobbyist' weathering bears no relation at all to reality. You would've been hard pressed to locate a vehicle in june/July/August that was Rusting out of every joint like they show in Fine Scale Modeler magazine. October/November/Decembe timeframer? That's another matter.

Mikey, good point. Theyd be dusty as hell alright (which they more or lss already are - you just don't see it very well because of the light base color!), but not very rusty.

Oh, and German tanks would NEVER EVER have a blackened muzzle brake when not in combat - those were cleaned after each engagement because leaving the all the soot and stain there would degrade the muzzle brake's efficiency and damage the barrel in the long run. Another one of these "Urban Panzer myths" so to speak...