Halfway There (pics)

Over twenty-six man-hours. One large bag of Pizza Rolls. Four bottles of Riesling. Three packs of smokes. Two liters of Coca Cola.

All I have to do is put in plans.

The era of Beer & Pretzels CM is back.

Ever have a really bad day at work, and then get stuck in the worst traffic in the world? All you want to do is get home and check your inbox for turn files, but some bluehair dropped her Lawrence Welk CD and caused an accident.

The Interstate is jammed. As your eyes glaze over and the Battlefront theme starts to play in your head, you fantasize about what it would be like to just roll on through in a tank.

Well friends and neighbors... here's your chance.

The map is called "No Exit".

The scenario will be called "Rush Hour".

noexitA.jpg

noexitB.jpg

noexitC.jpg

noexitD.jpg

noexitE.jpg

--------

Until I get the hang of plans etc, both the map and the scenario will be for Human vs Human only.

Forces for each side will be approx ...

5-6 scout car

2 plt inf dismount w/HMG

1 plt inf mounted on halftracks

4-5 med tank (pzIV/Sherm)

2x 81 mortar on map w/halftrack

2x 81 mortar off map

----

Once I get a good night's sleep I will set up the QB map and upload to Proving Grounds I suppose.

-

The idea is not as far-fetched as one might imagine. ;)

Eisenhower & Co got ideas for the interstate system from riding on the autobahn. Put the date in '45 sometime and fudge things a bit and it could be semi-historical.

Basically this is my 'training wheels' map. I made it for CMBO and CMBB to learn the different aspects of the editor. It is what I call a modified quartered mirror map. Most relevant terrain is copied to each side with minor vairations, and since it is a cloverleaf it goes into quarters.

Things I learned making this map...

Water can no longer be placed at different elevations. (waaaa. goodbye dam map :( ) I dropped a water tile at a high elevation and got the city well from "300". I wanted to push a prisoner in and yell "This is Sparta!".

The large, wide road bridge is approx one meter off to the East. (30 minutes of tweaking frustration to learn)

Date makes a difference for dawn/dusk clear battles. I can put the sun right in one side's eyes if I so choose.

You can no longer make a railroad/road crossing at 45 degrees. WTF is up with that?

Pyramids, dimples and sawteeth are much easier to trowel down, and do not appear as often to begin with.

Ninja Grass™(XT) covers a multitude of small editor sins.

I am sure I picked up other things, but they seem to be lost in a riesling haze.

Back to the plans...

Interestingly, I just saw a documentary about history of german "Autobahn" (highway) few days ago and constructions like the one above, were already build in the late 30ies, so it´s anything but unrealistic. ;) Germans had to stop expanding the highway net in 1941, when resources where needed elsewhere.

Interestingly, I just saw a documentary about history of german "Autobahn" (highway) few days ago and constructions like the one above, were already build in the late 30ies, so it´s anything but unrealistic.

Indeed — I once saw a B&W photo of a multi-lane highway meandering through a rural landscape with a VW Beetle in the foreground, and I thought "Somewhere in the Midwest in the early 1960s?" Nope, 'twas actually somewhere in Germany in the late 1930s.