Graphics problem

I have a NVIDIA GTX 295 video card and the graphics for the soldiers and vehicles is great, the problem is the graphics for the terrain and buildings seems flat and washed out.

I tried changing the settings but that doesn't seem to help, am I doing something wrong?

I may as well post my graphical problem here:

cmnormandy2011052123134.th.jpg

It's hard to see there but it's not only the trunk showing through, you can also see the foliage at the back of the tree, through the stuff at the front.

Also, not sure if anyone else has noticed or if it's just mine, but when you place thick (2 or 3) trees on bocage sometimes the trees will be placed in exactly the same place, causing the foliage to flicker at certain distances.

Marine1964 - I'm not sure what you're expecting. Are you saying that there aren't enough shadow effects on the buildings ? Admittedly the code that creates shadows in the game is fairly basic in terms of the effects it draws on screen. There's no 'soft shadows' like some other games may have.

Have you seen screenshots and/or videos from other users that look different from what you've seen ?

LJFHutch - Trees consist of 'planes' of textures at various angles. So some views are going to look right through a number of these 'branches' to see things on the other side of trees.

Are you using any anti-aliasing within your drivers. With Nvidia if you set the 'Antialiasing - Transparency' to one of the settings it MIGHT minimize the flicker, but possibly not eliminate it at certain distances (depending on how good the LODs are). I believe there may be an equivalent setting for ATI/AMD Radeons in the Catalyst Control Center's 3D Settings, but can't recall its exact description at the moment.

Bit OT but the tree image above made me think -

I am wondering about the possibility of translucency for trees. The 3 states that exist now do cover most eventualities but I find I sometimes want to 'see' what my units are doing without also removing the cover I'm trying to use.

Or maybe I'm being too literal? (i.e Area effect of terrain tiles vs visual representation).

That said I'd like to see the units with the eye-candy too.

LJFHutch - Trees consist of 'planes' of textures at various angles. So some views are going to look right through a number of these 'branches' to see things on the other side of trees.

Yeah but some planes (the ones at the back) are rendered in front of the ones at the front. The front planes should occlude the back ones, if you put one hand in front of the other the closest one will occlude the furthest, what I'm experiencing is the rear occluding the nearest, which in reality is absolutely impossible.

Have a look at the trunk (if you can't see it straight away follow it up from where you see it at the base of the tree), even though most of it is behind the foliage it's somehow interrupting the rendering of that foliage, causing the outline of the trunk to show through, as though it's cutting out the foliage or something.

I've seen a few trees flickering - it's not all trees, but it seems to be switching between two models (or aspects of two models) rapidly. The second scenario of Road to Montebourg has a couple of these flickering trees.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with a gtx570 with the latest drivers.

I've just checked the Antialiasing Transparency and it's set to 8x, which is they highest it'll go.

I may as well post my graphical problem here:

cmnormandy2011052123134.th.jpg

It's hard to see there but it's not only the trunk showing through, you can also see the foliage at the back of the tree, through the stuff at the front.

Also, not sure if anyone else has noticed or if it's just mine, but when you place thick (2 or 3) trees on bocage sometimes the trees will be placed in exactly the same place, causing the foliage to flicker at certain distances.

I see this kind of flicker,it always cause by the thick trees(2-3),when replace with the single trees,no more flicker.