AI behaviour in hexes

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere or raised years ago in CMSF - I didnt play CMSF.

I'm finding AI behaviour within a hex a bit annoying. A specific example will illustrate - I move a section of 3 guys into a hex which contains a shell hole. 1 of them immediately drops into the shell hole for cover - the other 2 think it would be a wise idea to kneel or lie out in the open. The shell hole, I'm certain, is big enough for more than 1.

Why does this happen? Am I doing something wrong or is the AI still a factor under improvement? I'm getting similar moments of frustration watching grunts in buildings bunch up next to one window rather than spread out.

What do the more experienced players out there do about this?

Minor quibble- they use square action spots.

I don'y class myself as a major experienced player but most times it works out pretty well for me. I don't always expect my guys to use the shell hole especilly if it's on the edge of an action spot, but I believe you can face teams to get them that way.

I'd say if you watch RL guys assault then they won't all logically take the optimal cover, then again what is optimal because it can vary to the threat.

Yeah, it's very important for the guys to spread out as much as possible. In terrain that has little form of cover you will see more bunching. I've seen, for example, 3 guys all behind the same tree because there's nothing else in that 8x8m spot. But if there was a tree and a shell hole, I'd expect a different result.

There's also the problem of where the enemy might be. Your little guys GENERALLY don't understand this. Instead they move to where you tell them to move and, without explicit orders, default to staying aligned with whatever vector they were traveling in when they entered that Action Spot. If all the cover for that particular spot is to the rear of side of the Action Spot, the soldiers probably won't use it. However, if you use the FACE Command they will take up positions behind whatever cover is optimal vs. the new direction.

Now, after some rounds start hitting your little soldiers might figure their current positions are sub-optimal and they might seek alternative positions. But shy of your instructions or figuring out things the hard way, they'll make a good stab at generally good positions and remain there unless the situation changes.

Steve