Normandy Reference Images: Map Makers Please Contribute

GDog

Objectives:

1. Bring map makers & players together to share knowledge on what the Normandy countryside looked like.

2. Compile an archive of images, desriptions, web links or other simliar resources, to help us better understand the Normandy countryside and build realistic maps for CMBN.

I love making CM maps, scenarios & operations (now campaigns). I've been looking forward to the CMBN editor as much as I have the game itself. So when I loaded the editor for the first time to make a small scenario and test map it dawned on me...

I really don't know what the Normandy theatre looked like!?

I know there were hedgerows, tree lined roads, small towns, stone walls, farmers fields etc. What I don't know is how they all come together in the real world.

Why is there a hedgerow and not a fence?

Where did they typically leave trees when clearing fields?

How did a village mesh with the surrounding fields?

These types of things need to be accurately represented for a map to look and feel like 1944 Normandy.

So while I go an begin my own research which I will share here, I invite everyone to share what they know. It would be nice if every post contained some useful information. If you have a question be all means ask it, but do your best to share something at the same time. This will ensure we keep the thread on track and cram as much information in here as possible.

Here's hoping others are interested in something like this, and if we manage to complile enough good stuff we could ask that our "Archive" be made a sticky.

Hurrah to the CMBN editor, it's going to be a lot of fun!

Learn to use Google Streetview would be the first step. It has a good coverage of Bretagne, including many small country roads that haven't changed much in 60 years.

eg.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Carentan,+Manche,+Lower-Normandy,+France&ll=49.488423,-1.362648&spn=0.187562,0.305901&z=12&layer=c&cbll=49.48838,-1.363374&panoid=zds3627YaLfe3KPu7SNbGw&cbp=12,278.32,,0,11.82

Hi

You have too french IGN portail

http://www.geoportail.fr/5069711/visu2D/afficher-en-2d.htm?cg=djoxLjEqYzptZXRyb3BvbGUqY3Y6MS4wKnZ2OjEuMSp4eTotMS41NjM4ODE0ODUwMzU5OTg3fDQ5LjI5NTYzNTEwMDM0MTQxKnM6OSpwdjoxLjAqcDpkZWNvdXZlcnRlKmw6UGhvdG98fHwsU2NhbnwxfHw%3D

here you can print map and also pics its usefull

so bocage was done to protect fields from wind and so

you fin it on Britanny and Normandy especialy where the sea wind is strong

its special area and don't cover all countryside ie near Caen you haven't it

never forget bocage is around fields and always have a way to get in, men must work on it :)

sorry for bad english

I'am too a map addict and spend more time on editor than on battlefield :)

if u wants more things mail me jief075@yahoo.fr

Hi,

Having seen some of the maps from the demo and the game itself, it's obvious that some details could be improved.

I wondered how hollow ways could be represented.

I just made a few work with the editor and managed to obtain something satisfying enough (for someone living next to Normandy :-) ) - from visual and gameplay standpoint - but that can still be improved*.

On each tile: heavy forest terrain, dirt road, high density random foliage (D trees give the best visual aspect, but can be mixed with some A and C trees), and make sure the level of the hollow way is 3 meters lower than the adjacent tiles, so that the troops cannot see (or be seen from) anywhere than the hollow way itself.

If you don't want the vehicles to pass (which is a realistic option), clear the road at each end tile.

I'm currently making a "show" map, where I will TRY to gather some typical Normandy landscape aspects; I'll upload it when ready.

* If you don't want infantry to enter or exit the hollow way from anywhere than its ends (realistic too), the road can be only 2 meters lower than the adjacent tiles with low bocage on both sides (with a few holes or not), so that there still will be no LoS outside the hollow way.

Some of these hollow ways are really like vegetal tunnels.