Contour lines

I am not surprised, Bovington is in a nice part of the country with nice pubs and a temperate climate. Catterick, on the otherhand, is the place where if God wanted to give England an enema he would stick the tube and has (had?), a Salvation Army pub with no beer, and a climate a bit worse than Norway (I remember one exercise which was called off two days early beacuse of the number of cases of hypothermia - kit designed for the German Plain just wasn't up to the job).

We did most of our playing soldiers up in Otterburn, so Catterick to us was the deep south.

I think the BBGT were a brilliant concept, if the allies had used it back in the 30s and early 40's a lot of lives might have been saved in France and North Africa instead of the Infantry/Armour and support arms going and doing their own thing with the minimum of co-operation.

Unless BFC might add a contour line feature for top view, at least map and scenario makers could add contour lined tactical maps to the briefings. GeorgeMC and me already worked something out like that for CMX1 and could possibly reused for CMBN. It´s an expedient for sure and just gives a rough overview of the map.

I realize this is probably not doable (at least not easily), but I would love to be able to overlay contour lines on a map. One of the few things I was good at in my limited experience was the ability to determine LOS between any two points on a map. This saved a lot of trial and error in positioning observers and ordnance. One of the small frustrations with the game is trying to find out where a unit can be placed to see point X.

There was a very handy tool in the old Shrapnel games which allowed you to see all points visible from a given spot with one click which caused all points not visible to be shaded.

But there is a useful method to approximate this in CMBN. Plot a move command line to the point X you want to see. Click on the move command line to select it. Next select the target command. Use that line to locate all points visible from point X.

A contour map would be very nice tbh and would add a nice touch to the game imo. As of now I have fits trying to find high ground. The good thing is for well made maps water sources are always considered low ground, but high ground is a pita to find on some maps. Sure you can drop down low but then if there is the bocage to contend with on some maps. I'd just like something that shows the overall lay of the land.

I'll throw my two cents in...Fort Irwin and MILES gear, oh yeah, good times, good times. Always a pleasure to knock down various units down a peg or two on rotations. ;)

Oh, and even though we knew the area like the back of our hand...we still used contour maps and grease pencils. :cool: