Camera Control Tips

I have the entire camera controls tied to my extra mouse buttons, and Nostromo speedpad along with most hotkey commands. This is the FASTEST, and most efficient way to control the game, and to navigate the camera. No doubt about it! With this method I control the game as fast as any other RTS out there.

It's funny how Sgt Schultz started this thread by recommending use of the mouse and not the keyboard, because I hated the camera until I started using the keyboard. I still use the mouse as a supplement, but otherwise I'm keyboard all the way.

Nah, that post was quite old - before the patch came out that smoothed out the camera controls. Using the keys to move around before that was kind of jerky and not too friendly.

I can't understand anyone that says it's a game breaker though, i mean, how can a game as good as CM stand or fall on the fact that WASD substitute for the arrow keys ?.......that's the worst case of OCD i've ever heard of !!!

It's not a game breaker for me (having just purchased the game) but it's frustrating that every other game I own is customisable... For instance if I only like wearing black shoes and this other brand that is desirable only make brown shoes (which I dislike) I would be equally frustrated.

It has nothing to do with OCD. I don't wash my keys 10 times an hour I just like to have the option to use them they way I want!

Also the manual erroneously states:

(KEYBOARD - DEFAULTS)

W or Up Arrow ............................ Move Forward

A or Left Arrow ........................... Move Left

D or Right Arrow ........................ Move Right

S or Down Arrow ........................ Move Back

and

Arrow Keys ................................. Fine Movement

Arrow keys move the camera left/right and tilt up/down

No doubt, given time, I will adapt. ;)

Nah, that post was quite old - before the patch came out that smoothed out the camera controls. Using the keys to move around before that was kind of jerky and not too friendly.

Odd I still experience jerkiness and unasked for pauses when controlling the camera with the keyboard. It never happens with the mouse. It is true that this has improved in several patches but I still find myself being annoyed with jerky camera motion even in 2.0.

I wonder if it is tired to machine specs - my machine is no slouch but it is not top end either.