How do we set up?

At a guess, start whatever scenario you wish to play (whoever is hosting) select 2 player TCP/IP - it will give you your IP Address, give the address to your mate, he selects join network game and punches in your IP - and if all is good and well with your firewalls and routers you should be blowing the crap out of each other in no time!

Seem to have a problem connecting. Seems to be hanging on 'waiting for connection' and 'connecting'. We've both tried hosting and double checked we have passed on correct IP and port. We have both disabled our firewalls but still get the same issue.

Anyone any ideas please?

Seem to have a problem connecting. Seems to be hanging on 'waiting for connection' and 'connecting'. We've both tried hosting and double checked we have passed on correct IP and port. We have both disabled our firewalls but still get the same issue.

If you have a modem that doubles as a router, then you have to configure your modem/router.

If your IP nr starts with 192.168. then you know this is the case (because that is a local IP address that will not be known on the internet.

You can test your network connection by opening a command box, and enter:

'TELNET nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn mmmm'

meaning TELNET <ip-nr> <port-nr>

It will usually give a diagnostic message when the IP connection doesn't work.

(but it will ruin a valid listening scenario, but then you know you are in and just restart the scenario)

boo to you lot lol... well im in the router config website and hopefully will find the port i need to open

port nr 7023 (unless you change it when setting up the game).

And you must look for 'port-forwarding' to open up the port for incoming connections, and send it to the ip address of your pc (the one shown in Combat Mission, starting with 192.168). Both UDP and TCP

Port is 7023. Go to whatismyip.com to get your external ip to give to whoever you are playing. Port forward 7023 to your local ip in your router setup, it will depend on make of router. It takes all of about 5 minutes and you will not have to do it again as long as you save the settings.

Rune

ok this is what i have done..

gone into the epic wireless router config/webpage

under firewall chosen port forwarding

under tcp and udp have put 7023

what do i put in the ip address option? i tried my mates ip and mine but is said invalid

please

ps we are not all tech wizards so be kind

Thanks for your help. Made some adjustments and checked with the port checker - it says it is open and pinged successfully. Still getting stuck on 'connecting' though??

portforward.com explains how to create a static IP - which we both did - but that includes making up an IP that is similar to the router's IP. Have I understood this right - the router's IP is the one you use in the browser URL to access the settings. And it is this made up static IP that I put into the virtual server settings for the router? This is doing my head in :-/

...and is the external IP of any relevance? Because that's not the IP I'm told to give to my opponent in the game.

As PJ Maybe states we finally got this going but the lag seems to be incredible..any one got any ideas on how to improve our data transfer or even how to test our connections?

That would be mostly the quality of the provider, and their interconnecting highways.

Many providers have download speeds reasonably fast, but upload speeds terribly slow. Here you need traffic in both directions.

I have played TCP/IP once for an evening, and it ran fast, but there were two small hiccups (only half a second each).

That would be mostly the quality of the provider, and their interconnecting highways.

Many providers have download speeds reasonably fast, but upload speeds terribly slow. Here you need traffic in both directions.

I have played TCP/IP once for an evening, and it ran fast, but there were two small hiccups (only half a second each).

We restarted the game and it was pretty smooth and no problems. Se we is happy now :)