Online Assault Formation?

FIRST AND FOREMOST, THIS IS A GREAT GAME. NICE JOB BFC.

Being an former Infantry NCO, I am trying to figure out how to get a CMBN squad into an online assault formation.

The existing Assault command initiates a fire and movement proceedure. It does not initiate the Online Assault formation I remember from my Ft. Benning and Vietnam days.

So how do I get my guys up, online and shooting at the objective as they advance?

Agreed. Like they used to do in CM1.

Up and at 'em and guns blazing (every third or fourth stride)!

Now we're down to one action figure per trooper it also springs to mind that none of them seem to trip over their own bootlaces, sprain their ankle in a rabbit hole, or even break step; I'm sure they all stride in unison?

Great gameplay though.

If you really want to micromanage, You can approximate an Online Assault formation with a large (12-man) American Infantry squad by (a) splitting the infantry squad into three Assault teams (split off one assault team, then split off a second assault team, this will give you 3 teams of 4 men each), and then line up the teams. It won't be a perfect line abreast, but it will be closer than what you'll get otherwise.

You can then issue a "target" order to each team on the objective area (or on an enemy unit occupying the objective area), and use the Quick command to close. Soldiers will occasionally stop to fire when executing a "Quick" order. If you want slower moving, but more fire, you can put a few waypoints down along the movement paths, which will cause the teams to stop briefly. You can even put short (5-second) pauses on the waypoints for firing, if you want to.

It's not exactly like Online Assault, but it's fairly close.

Not a game breaker, but I would very much like to see a WWII skirmish line formation, with men advancing abreast but widely separated to minimize casualties from an enemy opening burst.

Right now, the closest I can manage is 3 teams advancing in parallel with the men in each clustered together or in a line, which puts them in defilade to the enemy and effectively means that this extremely common RL tactic isn't viable.

The TAC AI must keep the soldiers of a team into the same action spot, so the best it can do is put a (large US) squad into three action spots.

If the individual soldiers in a team would spread out over different action spots, the game engine would need to put each soldier into its own 'team' for AI purposes, and that would probably not yet perform with large battles, and it would be harder to closely coordinate the actions of so many 'teams' in one squad.